Chapter 12: Promotion

Start from the beginning

"I do." Itachi stated as he looked blankly at the Hokage. Shisui then threw a Chunin Vest at Itachi, who caught it swiftly.

"Then congratulations, Chunin Itachi Uchiha." Itachi bowed. 

"Thank you, Hokage-sama." Hiruzen then turned to Izumi.

"Izumi Uchiha, I hereby proclaim you as a Chunin of the Hidden Leaf, do you accept this promotion along with your new responsibilities?" Izumi nodded timidly, eyeing Naruto out of the corner of her eye. 

"I do." She whispered. 

"Then congratulations, Chunin Izumi Uchiha!" Shisui proudly grinned at her as he threw her her own Chunin Vest. 

"Thank you, Hokage-sama." She said in a more confident voice, bowing. Hiruzen then set aside the document.

"Well, that's it for the Chunin promotions," Itachi's eyes widened, as well as Izumi.

"Wait a minute," Itachi began, his own voice doing the thinking for him, causing Hiruzen to raise an eyebrow. "How did Naruto not get Chunin? He's the strongest out of all of us!" 

"Silence, Itachi!" Shisui hissed, but a smirk was on his face.

"Naruto Namikaze did not make Chunin during these exams, in fact, he surpassed and exceeded all expectations. For that, the Council and I deem it necessary to promote him further," Shisui held out a vest and tossed it at Naruto, who caught it clumsily as he couldn't believe his eyes, even activating his Sharingan to make sure it was true. 

"Naruto Namikaze, I hereby proclaim you as Jounin of the Hidden Leaf, do you accept this promotion along with your new responsibilities?" 

"J-Jounin?" Naruto stuttered. He just skipped two ranks like that? To skip Chunin and Special Jounin so easily in just one showing? How was that even possible?! "A-Are you sure, Hokage-sama? Shisui-sensei?" Shisui nodded eagerly.

"Of course we are. I mean, in just a month you've broken the barrier and are now in the Jounin power-level section. You have almost mastered the Flash Step to my degree. You are skilled in kenjutsu and know how to utilize your kekkei genkai. You also are a natural leader, able to take charge of a situation quickly. 

"You also would rather die than let your comrades die, and will do anything in your power to keep them safe!" He finished. 

"That is the Will of Fire every Jounin needs," Hiruzen stated, his voice filled with confidence. "You are a kind boy, Naruto, and you care deeply for everyone in this village. In just a few years when you have experience in leading teams of your own, you will become a candidate for Hokage, do you accept this promotion along with your new responsibilities?" 

Naruto nodded absently as he put the vest on, it fitting him perfectly. "I do," He whispered, still in awe and shock at the fact that he was the youngest Jounin in Konoha history, perhaps in the world! 

"Congratulations, Jounin Naruto Namikaze," Hiruzen said with a bit more warmth than he had with Izumi and Itachi, the ladder of the two picking up on it. 

"Thank you, Hokage-sama." He then turned to Shisui and Kakashi and bowed again. "Thank you both, Kakashi-nii and Shisui-sensei." His eyes widened suddenly as he whirled around, startling the Hokage slightly. "Does that mean I have unrestricted access to the bars and Jounin-only libraries?" 

"Uh, yes?" Hiruzen stated awkwardly while Shisui was dying laughing, having to use Kakashi's shoulder to stop himself from falling. "Why do you want to go to a bar?" 

"So I can drink, duh!" Naruto slurred as a grin split on his features. "I'm a Jounin now! I can do whatever I want until I'm Hokage!" He then suddenly disappeared in a swirl of leaves, leaving Itachi, Izumi, a laughing Shisui, as shocked Kakashi, and a bewildered Hiruzen in the room.