Chapter Nine: Goose Chase

(Your name's) P.O.V

My eyes had widened as soon as I heard that gun shot go off. I remember screaming his name as I saw his body fly back along with the blood to darken the water. My heart was beating so rapidly as I felt my words get stuck in my throat from trying to speak anything.

I could feel my heart beat against my chest so very hard, the sudden shock taking my breath away as it was hard to even breathe or fathom what just happened before my very eyes.

I saw the small waves of red start to spread like smoke in the water as I then began to snap myself out of my shock.

Immediately and rapidly moving towards Zero, my eyes were beginning to swell with tears, checking to see if he was still alive.

"Zero- Zero-" I muttered breathily out, looking to his features only to see his strained violet eyes look back to me as he held now his wounded shoulder in the water. He coughed as his brows were contorted with pain only for him to now stand properly, letting my hold of him go.

"Oh god-" I muttered looking to his bloody shoulder and torn uniform as he clenched his jaw in a slight hiss, furrowing his brows immensely as he looked behind me as I faced him.

"That bullet was regular lead. Painful, but not deadly. That was just to injure you. This one though will finish the job now that you're weakened, vampire." Yagari spoke, reloading his shotgun as I immediately moved to shield Zero from him. Turning around in the water, I held my arms out as my heart was beating frantically.

"You will not kill him!" I yelled out of anger, my eyes staring to his own as I took in the moment of the situation.

The cold water made me shiver, the droplets dripped down my hair as Zero's eyes were focused solely now on his former master having shot him at all just a moment ago. He panted, letting out small breaths behind me as I kept my eyes on this bastard Vampire Hunter before me.

"You will not kill him Yagari, if you try to so help me-" I spoke aloud, my strength depleting of having witness Zero being shot and thinking he had died right before me as I felt the tone of my voice weaken.

"What, you mean to tell me this boy hasn't became a mindless degenerate Level E yet?" Yagari aimed his shot gun only holding the weapon with one hand, straight bent on aiming to Zero as I kept my body in the way of his vision. He saw this as he then parted his lips to then speak again. "Are you stupid? He just attacked you. Let me finish him regardless if he's a Level E yet or not at all, his fate is inevitable."

I then clenched my jaw.

"No, and if you do so expect your head to come off in resort. I'm not afraid to attack a Vampire Hunter." I voiced, reaching my hand back to draw my katana out to aim it his way. Pressing my katana blade against his weapon, I then pushed his shot gun aside with the tip of my sword as I suddenly felt Zero place his hand on my shoulder from behind me as we stood in the cold water. He then softly whispered to me, looking up to his former master.

"Don't (Your name), I don't want you hurt-" he spoke as soon as another pair of quick footsteps was heard as we then drew our attention slightly to the side to see Headmaster Cross approach us flailing his arms towards Yagari.

"Oh Yagari! This is exactly why I despise Vampire Hunters! Just as I heard that horrible gun shot go off, I come down here to check on it's whereabouts and look who I find?! A Vampire Hunter pointing his weapon to my students?!" Cross exclaimed, moving to place his hands upon the barrel of Yagari's shotgun to move it aside himself. "Put it away-!"

Seeing Yagari click his tongue to strap his shotgun to his back, I kept my sword drawn and aimed at him as we stood in the water still, watching the events unfold before us as I smelled the blood in the water rise with Zero's wound bleeding still.