TWENTY-TWO

TWENTY-TWO

Madeline had argued with Sebastian through hissed whispers all morning. Maggie was bustling in and out of the kitchen, rushing Ethan to get dressed so she could get him to the neighbors. He would spend the day swimming with their kids while Madeline faced her worst nightmare. It was her weekly appointment with Dr. Hershel and Sebastian wasn't going to be left behind. He had been silly at first, asking her what she would do for him if he agreed to stay home. When she rolled her eyes at his question he informed her that there was nothing she could do and that it would make him the happiest individual in all the worlds to join her during her appointment.

"I swear we are the most unorganized family," Maggie was pushing through a pile of unopened envelopes in search of her keys.

"I doubt that," Madeline sipped at her coffee. She did her best to ignore Sebastian sitting cross-legged on the kitchen island. He was pointing to Maggie's keys which sat in plain sight near a plate of half-eaten whole wheat toast.

"They are seriously right here. Like just sitting here!" Sebastian laughed.

"Key are on the counter, Mags." Madeline made a face at Sebastian who blew her a kiss.

"Thank you!" Maggie sang. "Love you. Miss you already. We will be home for dinner and maybe a movie?" Maggie was calling for Ethan after that, laughing as he hopped down the stairs in his favorite swimsuit and prescription neon goggles.

"Bye!" Ethan screamed, running out the door. Madeline laughed at Maggie chasing after him, purse tucked unceremoniously under her arm.

The night before had been a lot. Though Madeline did get at least a few hours of sleep, she felt tired and shaky. She finished off her coffee and waited for The Sebastian Show to begin. He had been watching her carefully since their impromptu make-out session. She hadn't stopped him from kissing her. She enjoyed the feel of his mouth and the way he held her face just so. She wondered if he kissed the goddess with the same enthusiasm, something that had taken up residence in the front of her brain. If he had found fault with someone so mighty, then how the hell did he not find fault with her?

"When is this appointment?" Madeline cringed. She had almost forgotten about it. She had considered canceling it but it almost always ended up in her regretting the decision. So she barricaded herself in her closet and started getting dressed. She traded in her pajama pants for a pair of skinny jeans and threw on a t-shirt from some vacation spot Maggie had taken her years before. Her hair was a mess of waves and not wanting to trade in the knots for an extreme frizz, she tossed it on top of her head in the highest of ponytails.

"She emerges!" Sebastian grinned. He was perched against her vanity, bright purple eyes sparkling amusedly.

"You really want to go with me?" She was slapping some makeup on her tired eyes, though Hershel could always see straight through it. The need to try felt almost ritual.

"Yes. I want to go." Sebastian answered. He was looking down at her, his arms crossed over his chest.

"It's going to be boring for you."

"Hearing about you is never boring for me," Seb scoffed. "I would love to hear more."

"Sebastian," Madeline sighed. "You are full of crap."

"Not entirely," he was following her out of the room. She wondered if she had time for more caffeine before they left for Hershel's office. She opted for a soda, popping the top off her favorite sugary beverage.

"You can come but you need to behave. I can't be talking to thin air at a meeting. I would rather not be thrown in involuntary lockdown." Madeline warned. Sebastian pretended to lock his lip and throw away the key. "Seriously, Seb. Keep your mouth closed."