Chapter forty-two

Wandering around the overflowing house with a drink in my hand, I squeeze my way through the mass of dancing bodies.

Finally finding an empty couch, in one of the more deserted corners of the room, I collapse onto the cushions in relief, Mia's heels already starting to hurt my feet. 

Loud yells catch my attention, coming from the front room, but I eventually decide to ignore it. Enough fights had broken out already, that I was pretty much immune to the chaos at this point.

Mia suddenly comes out of nowhere, dropping herself drunkenly down onto the empty space beside me, landing almost on my lap, seemingly too intoxicated to notice the proximity, and knocks my phone onto the ground.

"Mia, be careful!" I exclaim, reaching down to pick up my phone, groaning when it doesn't turn on.

"You've been avoiding me." She pouts, ignoring my frustration as I continue to struggle with my phone.

I eventually toss it to the side, knowing that she has drunken way too much beer at this point to even recognise what she made done.

"I know, I know," I start, running a hand through my hair, "It's just- party's really aren't my scene, and I'm missing Billie too much right now to even try and have any fun." I say with a sigh, sending her an apologetic smile.

"Oh, don't be such a downer! Come dance with me." Mia slurs, grabbing my hand.

"Stop Mia," I say with a chuckle, amused by her drunken attempt to get me on my feet.

"Besides," I continue, the smile dropping from my face, "Billie was so worried that something would happen between us.. and I don't know. I feel weird being here instead of with her. Which is a such a shitty thing to say, but it's the truth." I groan, feeling like a horrible friend.

"Would that be so bad?" She purrs, inching even closer, making me automatically lean back.

"What?"

"Would something happening between us be that bad?" She repeats clumsily, making me frown.

I shake my head, "you're just drunk, you know I would never-"

Before the words have left my mouth, Mia's lips are suddenly on mine, her hands gripping my shoulders tightly.

I scramble away from her grasp, shoving roughly, but not before the flash of a camera goes off, capturing the scene as it unfolded.

Now at opposite ends of the couch, I stare over at Mia, completely dumbfounded, my breath coming out in short gasps. I watch her clouded expression melt away into an emotionless smirk, and her eyes dart over to the space just to the left of me.

I look up and notice Allie standing across from us, a phone clutched in her grip and a taunting smile on her lips.

"What the fuck is going on here?" I growl, pushing myself up into a standing position.

"Just gathering evidence for my claim to fame," she tells me in a singsong voice, waving her phone in front my face.

"You're what?"

"My claim to fame," she repeats with a smug smile, "don't you think Billie's fan might be worried about who she's hanging around with, especially after seeing her "friend" get pissed at a random party with some girl across her lap?"

"Everyone will want to know what's going on, and I'll be more than happy to fill in the blanks." She say proudly, her eyes gleaming and she takes in my confused expression.

"That picture means nothing." I say, sounding a lot more confident in the content of the photo than I actually felt.

"Maybe not. But once people hear the story that goes with it..." Allie trails off, a triumphant grin on her face. "And I don't think Billie would like to think that her little girlfriend is sleeping around."

I swallow nervously, a sick feeling growing in the pit of my stomach, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not dating her."

"Oh stop trying to play dumb," Allie says in a bored tone, rolling her eyes, "Mia has seen your texts."

I spin to face her, "you went through my phone?"

She simply nods, unbothered, looking completely at ease as she sits back on the couch. "Wasn't hard. You're a very trusting person, you know that?"

My jaw clenches at how quickly she switched personalities, and my hands curl into fists at my sides. I take a deep breath and turn to fix a cool stare on Allie, not having the energy to deal with Mia anymore.

"Why are you doing this?" I spit, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Oh it's nothing personal," Allie replies flippantly, waving a dismissive hand. "You just provided me with the perfect opportunity to enter the world of celebrities."

My mind was reeling, I couldn't believe this was actually happening. Mia, someone I had known forever and had started getting close to, had been lying to me this entire time. I couldn't even say that I was hurt, it had barely been a few weeks, but it left an empty feeling in my chest. It made me feel so horribly out of place that I just wanted to run from the building- from this situation.

All I wanted to do was be back in Billie's arms. I had forgotten how much I missed her.

But thoughts of Billie sent my mind spiraling into a panic as I thought of the pictures of me on Allie's phone, and how I would be immediately tied to Billie.

I couldn't even be sure that anything bad would come from them, but I didn't want to risk it. And with my phone now broken I don't know when I'd be able to actually contact Billie to tell her what happened.

"Don't do this, Allie." I tried, but even before the words had left my mouth I knew they meant nothing to her.

"And why shouldn't I?" She laughs mockingly, "what could you possibly do to stop me from ruining your relationship with-"

The end of her sentence is abruptly cut off when a voice speaks up,

"What the fuck is going on here?"

A/N: helloooo! I hope that everyone who celebrates it had a good Christmas! Sorry for the late chapter but I didn't have much time to write the past few days with all the last minute present shopping 😂

Thanks so much for reading!

Much love, Isabel 💕