Chapter thirty-three

"This is your idea of not wasting our time together?" Billie asks me skeptically as we step into a run down corner shop.

"No time spent with me is time wasted." I state and explore the different aisles, grabbing whatever looks good. I pull her behind me and add casually, "but no, I have something else in mind for us to do."

"Like what?"

I purse my lips to contain my laugh, "babe, we're buying snacks and then heading back to the hotel. What do you think we're doing?"

"No need to be smart." She retorts, tossing a bag of chips into the basket she was holding. "I was just asking."

She pauses for a second and looks over at me, "we're gonna watch a movie, right?"

"Yes Billie."

After a few more minutes of gathering snacks, we make our way to the till. I dig through my pockets and pull out the correct amount of change and place it on the counter once our food had been scanned.

"Erin, you didn't have to pay." Billie frowns, helping me carry everything.

I'm about to reply as we make our way to the exit but stop when loud yelling stops us in our tracks.

"Oh my god! Is that Billie Eilish?!" Screams a voice from down the street. A chorus of voices erupt from outside and Billie sends me a look of panic.

"Come on." I say and grab her hand, pulling her back into the shop.

"Over here." A voice pipes up and I look over to see the girl who had just scanned our items. She beckons us over to a door labeled 'staff only' and we slip inside.

"Thanks bro." Billie says, relieved.

"No problem." The girl smiles. "I'm Kelly."

Her words are largely directed towards Billie but I greet her warmly nonetheless, not surprised that she was as captivated by her as I was.

But if she doesn't stop staring we're gonna have some problems.

Kelly eyes Billie's hand that stays loosely wrapped around my waist as we wait for the excited voices to fade.

"So it's true then? You two are dating?" Kelly says and I easily detect the jealousy lingering in her tone.

"Yup." Billie answers proudly and I beam.

"Really?" She asks almost mockingly, her judgmental expression making it easy to guess exactly what she's thinking

"Watch it." Billie growls, but Kelly continues as if she hadn't spoken.

"So you're gay then?" She adds, making Billie shift uncomfortably at the abrupt question.

"Do you really think that that's any of your business?" I ask Kelly, stopping Billie from having to answer.

She fixes a fake smile onto her face, "I was just wondering."

"Don't."

The tension in the room starts to rise but she keeps talking, either not sensing it or choosing to ignore it.

"So," Kelly starts shifting her attention on to Billie, "who's tour going? I'm really looking forward to your concert tomorrow."

"It's going good." She replies shortly and reluctantly engaging in light small talk, her answers abrupt.

I step out of Billie grasp and lean across her to check outside when I hear nothing but silence beyond the door. "I think the coast is clear." I tell her.