Chapter twenty-five

I jerk awake when I feel Billie shift underneath me, immediately alert. She moves around a bit more in her sleep before settling back down, her breathing returning to a regular rhythm. Relived that she's okay and that I hadn't accidentally hurt her while I was asleep, I sit up and stretch my arms out in front of me.

Figuring that Billie would be awake soon, I decide to get up and bring her breakfast. Rushing to the bathroom to clean up my appearance, I head to the cafeteria once I'm satisfied.

I run into Maggie on the way down and after saying a brief good morning, try to apologize for falling asleep in Billie's bed, leaving everyone else to stay in the waiting room. But before I get very far she's already shaking her head.

"Erin, please." She says, interrupting me. "It couldn't have been anyone but you. She's always happiest when you're around. You make each other happy, and that's what matters right now."

She waves me off with a warm smile when I tell her that I'm going to get breakfast, and when she declines my offer to get her something, I say goodbye and continue down to the cafeteria.

Frowning at the amount of people packed into the room, I squeeze my way past countless bodies, wanting to be in and out as fast as possible.

Standing in line to pay for the food I had chosen, I glance over my shoulder at the sound of someone approaching, only to roll my eyes when I notice who it is. "Finally heard the news then?"

"I did, no thanks to you." Que snaps, clearly annoyed.

"Keeping you up to date is hardly my problem."

"Manners, Erin. Ever heard of them?" He says sarcastically.

Not caring enough to respond, I simply step forward in the line, hoping for the conversation to be left at that.

Copying my movements and moving forward as well, I lose hope that he'll be leaving any time soon. I glare at the single water bottle in his hand, no doubt using it as his excuse to follow and pester me with questions about Billie.

"So you and Billie, huh?" He says harshly, as I had thought he would, making me narrow my eyes at him.

"What makes you say that?" I reply, matching his tone.

"You spent the night in her room when no else did. I put two and two together. It wasn't hard."

"That means nothing." I scoff. "Maybe stop trying to play detective and mind your own business."

"Am I wrong?"

With Billie's word echoing in my head, a smug smile settles on my lips. "Actually you're not wrong at all."

Then it's his turn to narrow his eyes. "Not for long. You're just a phase. She'll come crawling back to me when she realizes that you can't give her what she wants." He spits.

"Back to you? You could never get her in the first place."

"Just wait. Billie will realize what an actual relationship is and she'll forget all about you."

"Keep telling yourself that." I retort condescendingly, finally paying for my things and patting his chest as I stroll past him in a last attempt to piss him off.

______________

"Here you go, love." I say to Billie, passing her the sandwich I brought back for her and hopping onto the chair.

Saying a quick thank you, she digs in immediately. She takes a bite and then pulls a face, looking down at the sandwich like it insulted her.

"Billie, it's hospital food and you're a gluten free vegan. What did you expect?" I ask, biting into my own.

"Flavour?"

Snorting at the absolute disgust on her face, with the promise of something else once we get back to the hotel, she grudgingly continues to eat.

She brushes the crumbs away from her lap and gingerly fixes her position on the bed to face me before saying, "so when do I get to take you out on a date?"

Not even trying to fight the grin that finds its way on to my face, I answer, "when you ask me."

"Ha. Very funny." She responds with an eye roll.

I laugh as I finish eating, looking up in surprise when she's suddenly in front of me.

She towers over me with a smirk, her hands on either arm rests of the chair to balance herself. She inches closer, her breath fanning my slightly part lips, as I sit there completely frozen. My heart is racing at a mile a minute, so loud I'm sure she can hear it. I can't focus on anything other than her intoxicating scent and how close she is to me.

Her gaze flickers down to my lips and I lick them automatically, watching her eyes follow the movement.

"Will you go on a date with me?" She whispers, returning her eyes to mine, holding me captive under her stare.

Unable to do anything as I watch her completely transfixed, I force myself to nod, not trusting my voice.

"Good." She says with a triumphant smile and pull away, leaving me wondering what the hell just happened.

_____________

Billie is discharged a few hours later, and to say that she's happy to be back in her hotel room is an understatement.

"Ah." She sighs, as she collapses against the pillow of her bed. "Thank fuck that's over."

She opens her arms and I happily crawl into her embrace, avoiding the side of her injured rib.

"Home sweet home." She mumbles sarcastically, resting her head on mine.

Sympathy floods through me at the thought of her missing home and I want nothing more than to be able to comfort her. I rack my brain for something to say when she suddenly changes the subject.

"Concert tomorrow." She states.

I hum in response and ask, "Do you think you'll be okay to perform?"

I feel her head nod up and down before saying, "of course. It may not be the easiest with my injuries, but it's what I love. And I can't let my fans down."

"Just don't tire yourself out too much," I tease. "I believe I was promised a date."

She chuckles lightly. "Don't worry love, I have no intention of waiting much longer."

A/N: I think I'm about to get a cold and I'm just straight up not having a good time right now. But I still enjoyed writing this coz even tho I'm not 100% sure I like how it turned out, it still feels like such a breakthrough after so much writers block 😂

Anyway, thank you all for reading and don't forget to vote, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Much love, Isabel 💕