Chapter forty

The journey home was a peaceful one. My usually racing thoughts had finally seemed to come to a standstill, and the thought of being able to see Billie's face after an extremely long day, even through a phone screen, kept me at ease as I walked.

Taking the stairs in my building two at a time, I'm quick to lock my front door behind me and finally breath a sigh of relief. Leaning against the front door, as my eyes scan the space that I was now living in, an involuntary smile lifting the corner of my lips.

It was small, and a far cry from the luxurious hotel rooms I had grown accustomed to, but at least it was mine.

Kicking off my shoes as I make my way over to my room, I lie on my neatly made bed and reach for my phone in my back pocket, FaceTiming Billie.

She picks up on the second ring, her bright smile filling up my screen. "Hello mamas, I've been waiting to hear from you. How are you doing?"

"Better, now." I smile, and I can see her cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

I don't think I'll ever get over what it feels like to make her blush.

"Cut it with that soft shit." Billie says still looking flustered, which was definitely a rare sight.

"You love it."

"Only from you." She corrects making me chuckle.

"How was your day?"

I talk her through my day as per request, carefully leaving out the talk with my parents. Billie listens quietly, letting me rant and get everything off my chest.

"I don't care!" She protests, when I tell her about the conversations with my classmates, and more specifically, with Allie.

"But I don't want to out you for the sake of personal satisfaction." I say, a not so subtle reminder that she is still firmly in the closet, and that any hint at her sexuality would spread like wildfire in my school.

"Do it! Get that satisfaction. Wipe those smug grins off their faces."

I can't help but laugh at her words, shaking my head, "I appreciate the gesture Bil, but I'm still not okay with doing it."

She huffs. "Why are you so thoughtful? Damn."

Chuckling at her words, I hurriedly kick off my jeans and climb under the covers of my bed, getting comfortable.

"I spoke to my mom and dad today." I say quietly, after a few moments of silence.

She refocuses her tired gaze and I can see the camera shake as she sits up, giving me her full attention. "Shit. What happened?"

I sigh, "they accused me of lying about my sexuality, that it was only a phase, and that I was an embarrassment to them."

Fury flash across Billie's face and I can see her getting worked up, "how fucking dare they say that shit you! Who do they think they are-"

"Billie, stop," I say and she immediately cuts herself off, the angry expression on her face melts into concern, "are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Really, I am." I repeat when she gives me a doubtful look.

"I'm so sorry baby, you don't deserve any of this shit."

We talk for hours longer, and the familiar husky tone of her voice makes me feel as though I'm lying next to her, despite the vast distance that separates us.

My responses have been reduced to hums and nods of agreement as my eyelids grow heavy, but I fight to stay awake, not ready to say goodbye just yet.