Chapter thirty-eight

I didn't think that seeing their faces after so long, especially now that I have Billie, would still hurt, but it really does. Even so, I still find it hard to tear my gaze away from the pair as they sit at their table, eating their lunch.

I remember Mia telling me about them getting together not so long ago, but it feels like years. At the time I had been dealing with my own shit and couldn't have cared less. But now? I'm not so sure.

I'm finally about to look away when Allie turns and catches my eye, a sly smile spreading across her face when she notices me.

Grabbing Sams hand in hers, she makes her way over, winding around the groups of people in her way.

"Oh. My. Gosh. Erin Finch! Is that you?" Allie says when she comes to a stop at the table, her voice dripping with fake enthusiasm.

Who else would it be you fucking b- "In the flesh." I answer, forcing a smile on to my face, finding it hard to match her tone.

My eyes flick over to Sam, and he at least has the decency to look uncomfortable. It was weird seeing him again after all this time, but it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.

Had I truly been in love with Sam? After Billie, I can honestly that the answer to that question was no. But at the time he had practically been the love of my life. Dramatic, I know, but that's what it had felt like at the time. And Allie had gone and basically stole him out from under me.

By the time they made it official, I met Billie and was trying to move on with my life. It was the months before that, when they were all over each other constantly, that were absolute hell.

"So is it true then? You and Billie?" Allie asks, crossing her arms over her chest. Her voice is friendly but her the look in her eyes is anything but. She wears a smug smile on her lips, just waiting for me to tell her exactly what she already thinks she knows.

Hesitating, I pause. The satisfaction of telling her the truth and wiping that look off her face would be priceless, but I shake away the thought. That's not fair to Billie.

So instead, I swallow my pride and say, "no. We aren't dating."

"Pity." She pouts.

I hum in agreement but then add, "I miss her though. We were basically best friends. Never went anywhere without each other."

"Oh. How cute." She sneers, obviously finding it difficult to mask her true thoughts.

"Anyway," she continues, "We should have a night out! Like old times."

"I'm not sure." I reply hesitantly.

"Worried how it might look? 'Billie Eilish's friend gets crossed at a party'", She laughs "what a caption that would be."

"Right."

"Well I better go, but it was great talking to you!" Without another word, Allie rushes off with Sam in tow, and I barely watch her leave, turning back to the table.

I'm not an idiot, I know exactly why Allie suddenly wants to reconnect, but it made me worry if anyone else was talking to me for the same reasons?

I don't think Mia hadn't spoken to me any differently, but how could I be sure?

Would I have to second guess everyone's motives from now on, just in case they were trying to get to Billie?

I raise a hand to my temple, trying to rub away the oncoming headache. Mia looks at me with concern when I excuse myself to go to the bathroom, but thankfully doesn't pester me with questions.

I wander down the emptied hallways, my footsteps echoing loudly as I walk.

The silence of the space around me mirrored by now still thoughts as I reveled in the feeling of finally getting back to my usual routine.

Constantly being on the road, going from country to country had brought a lack of structure into my life, I couldn't lie that I was happy to see the end of it.

____________

The bell rang for the last time, signaling the end of the day, and I quickly drop my school things off at my place and change into black and jeans and a matching t-shirt. After thankfully only a ten minute walk, I arrive outside the familiar corner café.

I work absentmindedly for the next few hours, cleaning tables and taking orders. I realize when my shift is finally over that I have nothing more to delay with, and have to head back to my parents house.

I walk up the driveway, the sound of gravel crunching underfoot. My breath turns to vapour in front of my face in the chilly evening air, and I pause for a minute, taking in the sight of my childhood home.

I never really imagined myself coming back so soon, but I also didn't think I would be away for so long.

Climbing the few steps to the door, I briefly tap my knuckles against the creaking wood, and stand back.

A/N: THE XANNY MUSIC VIDEO CAME OUT TODAY !!!

It's like the wtpo video but for xanny ?? it's so fucking artistic and simple I'm obsessed. What do u guys think?

Anyway thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed this part, please don't forgot to vote, comment and share!

Much love, Isabel 💕