(Back To School)

The morning comes, after many hours of us two dancing around and cuddling on the bed.

I hear Bella moving around in her room, and sigh, knowing Jasper will have to leave soon.

He's lying next to me, shirtless, with one arm slung around my shoulders as I lean on his chest. He has a book in his free hand, one from my shelf, and is idly reading while his other hand draws circles on my arm.

David Bowie sings softly in the background, as I didn't want to wake anyone still. The moment is peaceful, and I'm glad for my vampiric memory.

"Hey, Jaz?"

"Yes, darlin'?"

"We've got school soon." The words tremble a little as they are spoken, betraying my nervousness.

He closes the book and looks down at me, but I stare determinedly at his chest. "And you're worried."

"Of course I am. Have you noticed that my eyes and teeth have a tendency to change without warning?" I exclaim.

"Actually, there are a lot of warnings. Most of the time, they only change when you're hungry or angry," he says simply, but there's a weird tone to his words.

I raise my eyes and find him smirking cheekily. I don't understand what he's getting at, until he leans down and presses a kiss to my temple.

"But hunger and thirst are two very different things for a vampire," he whispers.

I laugh, swatting his chest with my hand. But I forgot I'm not a puny human, and he actually winces.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Jasper!" I say, recoiling.

He laughs softly, shaking his head, and draws me back in. "Jordan, I've been bitten, punched, kicked, thrown, anything you can imagine. A small slap from you is nothing, love."

"Still, I don't want to hurt you. No matter how weakly," I say, frowning.

"You didn't hurt me. Promise," he says, and kisses my nose.

I giggle, sitting up in the bed. The sunlight pouring onto my floor is nice, gentle.

I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday, so I'll need to change for school. And find something a bit better to cover my scar.

As if he is heard my thoughts, Jasper sits up next to me and drags his fingers over the bandana. A frown pulls his lips down.

I try and pry his fingers away, but he holds firm, giving me a stern look. Giving in, I allow him to untie it and pull it away from my skin.

His fingers turn to iron, his jaw shutting with a soft think next to my ear. A soft, delicate touch ghosts over my neck, so light if I were alone I'd swat at it thinking it was a fly.

Jasper has stopped breathing, his whole body tensed like a bow string. I'm not afraid. He's not angry at me, nor will he lash out.

"I'm so sorry, Jordan," he whispers, and I'm able to feel his breath on the back of my head.

His fingers gently brush over the scar, sending warm tingles through my nerves. He circles the raised bumps, and I close my eyes in response to the soothing sensation.

"You shouldn't be sorry. It wasn't your fault. We've been over this," I say.

"But I could have prevented it. If I hadn't left in the first place you would never have been through such awful pain."

"Jaz, its no one's fault. Life happens. We can't control it, and we can't change the past," I say, surprised at my own comfort with this statement.