Returning Home

Minnie

"So, you texted him?" April asked over the phone. She was apparently doing the dishes and Minnie was on speaker. She could tell from all the clinking porcelain in the background. Minnie herself was making herself ready for work

"I did. Last week."

"No reply?" 

"Not yet. He's probably been working. Or maybe he's being a good fiance." Minnie pulled the shirt over her head. "I threw up again this morning," she sighted. "This morning sickness thing is getting to me."

"It won't last forever," April reassured her. "Just you wait."

"Not really helping right now," Minnie sighted.

"Sorry," April said.

"Good morning class. Get your books and read pages 13-17 and answer the questions on page 18. If you have any questions, turn to your classmates first and then ask me." Minnie began her Monday class.

Minnie logged on to her computer and scrolled through her work e-mail. She was soon interrupted by a voice.

"Ms. Caliente?" Minnie looked up and saw Kara.

"Yes, Miss. Norman?"

"Are you okay? You seem a little...off."

Minnie sent Kara a friendly smile. "I'm fine, Miss. Norman. I just have a lot going on. You don't have to worry about me."

Kara nodded and returned to her seat. Suddenly the door swung open and a stressed looking Carolyn Franklin ran inside.

"So, sorry I'm late, Miss. Caliente. But there's a police officer here at our school. And he's looking for you. And he's really cute." Carolyn grinned.

Minnie froze. Why would the police want to talk to her?

Minnie's first thought and worry was that something had happened to April or her parents. She almost ran down the hall behind Carolyn. She spotted headmistress Volt talking to the police officer. She slowed down when she caught the conversation between headmistress Volt and the officer.

"It's great every time you kids come back and us oldies get to see what you look like today."

"This place is holding so many memories." Christopher turned his head around. 

"We still have your picture up on the wall by the locker rooms as a memory of an honorable football player. I can show you, if you'd like."

Minnie almost rolled her eyes. Not a single soul had been that impressed when she had returned, and she was working there.

"Thank you, but I really need to find Miss Caliente." Christopher said, still with his back towards where Minnie were.

"She's right here." Carolyn blurted out. 

Thanks for that...

Christopher turned around and his eyes landed on Minnie. Their eyes met and the special tension were back between them. It was so strong that Minnie was sure that Carolyn could feel it, which wasn't very appropriate.

"Hi," he said.

"Hey," she said.

Minnie realized that he was wearing his full uniform and that he looked goooood in it. Minnie glanced at the wall, so she wouldn't blush. Christopher was about to say something, it was written all over his face, but headmistress Volt beat him to it.

"Miss Caliente and Mr Dolan used to attend this school. They were high school sweethearts. They both graduated during my first two years of working here." Headmistress Volt explained to Carolyn, who Minnie had totally forgotten was there. Carolyn aawed.

"Miss Franklin, get back to class. You're in charge. I need to speak to officer Dolan here." Minnie told Carolyn, who's eyes sparkled at the words "in charge". Minnie knew how much Carolyn liked to be the head of a situation. She would make a great boss someday.

Carolyn disappeared back to the classroom. 

Minnie turned back to Christopher, who had also been watching Carolyn walk away. The tension between them was still there and headmistress Volt didn't seem to notice. She still stood in her place, watching them and wearing a too bright smile. Suddenly a second police officer arrived. 

"Yo, Dolan. This place is huge," he said as he walked up to them. His eyes landed on Minnie. "Ah, you must be the famous Minnie," he grinned at her and shook her hand. "I'm Vic Jhones, Dolan's partner. For work, that is." Vic chuckled at his own joke.

"Nice to meet you." Minnie half-smiled at him. 

Christopher sent Vic a pleading look and nodded towards headmistress Volt. Vic caught the plead and walked over to her.

"And you must be the head of the house." Vic shook headmistress Volt's hand. 

"I am," she smiled. "Did you know that Mr. Dolan was the star football player in his days?" she asked and looked a little too proud. "There's a picture of him by the locker rooms if you would like to see it."

"I would love to." Vic smiled and headmistress Volt started to lead him away. "This is such a huge school, it must be hard not to get lost."

"We've actually have a great system to memorize where to go..."

Their voices died down as they walked away. Christopher and Minnie were all alone in the hall again. Minnie was the first one to speak. "I know a place where we can talk in private."

She walked in front of Christopher as she lead him to the music room. She opened the door and let Christopher walk in before her. She heard his breath hitch as he noticed that no time had passed in there. Minnie had been very much into music, despite the face that she couldn't sing even if her like depended on it, so she had spent a lot of time in there, mostly playing the piano.

She stopped by the door and watched as he looked around.

"I wonder..." he began before walking over to one of the guitars hanging on the wall. He took it down and turned it over. "Yep, this is it," he nodded to himself.

He looked at Minnie, who frowned. He waved her over and she walked over and glanced at the guitar. She gasped as she saw their names written on the back of the guitar. 

M <3 C

She stared at it for a moment. When she looked at Christopher again, she noticed how close their faces were. He had his eyes on her lips. She knew she shouldn't kiss him. He was engaged. 

With that in mind, she took a few steps back. 

"I'm not engaged anymore," he whispered.

"I'm pregnant," she whispered back.