New And Old Love

"Are you excited?" April asked as Minnie helped her put the veil in her hair.

"For you to be a married woman instead of this crazy bridezilla? Sure," Minnie joked and glanced at them in the mirror. April was looking stunning as always, with her blonde hair in soft curls and neutral make-up. And of course, her white wedding gown. Minnie grabbed the silver bracelet with the blue stones from the counter and April held her hand out for Minnie to help her.

"Your something blue," Minnie said when she was done. "So, do you have everything?"

April showed Minnie her shoes. "I wore these at graduation, so they are old. The dress is obviously new, the bracelet is my something blue and I borrowed this from Ethan's mum," she pointed to her silver necklace. "So, I'm all set," she smiled.

April's best friend Byron popped his head inside the room. "Are we good to go?" he asked and by the looks of it, his eyes actually got a little blank when he landed on April. 

"Whenever you are," Minnie said and looked at her younger sister, trying not to ruin her own perfectly done make-up.

April walked over to the window to pose for some last minute pictures, her last time as a Caliente-sister. Minnie glanced at herself in the mirror. April did a good job in picking out bride's maids dresses. The light yellow fabric complemented Minnie's brown eyes perfectly and the dress itself hugged her body in just the right places. 

Minnie and April's dad, Donald, entered the room. He stopped in his tracks when his eyes landed on April. 

"You did that," Byron sighted, also eyeing April. "You created her."

"I'd like to take all of the credit, but I did have some help from Harper." 

Minnie watched it all from where she was standing. She had to admit that she was a bit jealous. April and Ethan met during orientation day at high school. April accidentally walked into the wrong classroom and Ethan had volunteered to walk her to the classroom where she was supposed to be. On their short walk there, he had managed get a date with her, and today, twelve years later, they were getting married. 

Minnie had dated a guy in high school too. Christopher Dolan. Back then she had thought that it would last forever, they had even entered the same college and shared an apartment. Christopher had a promising career in football ahead of him, and when he got drafted to an NFL team he had suddenly broken up with her, moved out and since then she hadn't seen nor heard from him. Byron, who knew Christopher's younger brother Carter, had told her that his career in football ended with a terrible knee injury, that Minnie had later watched on YouTube, and that he had moved on from the NFL. Byron had also told her that he was now working as a police officer in the town where he now lived.

Minnie looked away from her father and Byron pouring compliments over April and telling her that Ethan was the luckiest man in the world, since he would be marrying her. 

After a few more photos and some more tears that were wiped, they left the room to get to where the ceremony was being held. Just before Minnie was about to make her entrance with Ethan's best man Sam, April grabbed her hand and gave her a reassuring smile. Minnie returned it and told April that she looked beautiful and that everything is going to be great.

Minnie walked to her spot and everyone rose as April and Donald entered. Minnie saw her mum cry and when she looked over at Ethan she noticed a tear roll down his cheek. She tried not to think about the feelings of jealousy that threatened to make their way, and tried to be happy for April and Ethan instead. 

The whole ceremony went as smooth as it could. Ethan and April said their I dos and soon all of the guests gathered in front of the church, waiting to congratulate the newly weds. Byron cleared his throat and clinked his glass to try to get everyone's attention. Soon everyone  quieted down.

"May I present to you, Mr and Mrs Andersen." 

People began to cheer as the doors opened and April and Ethan stepped out.  Ethan rose his and April's intertwined hands. 

"We did it!" Ethan shouted and people laughed.

Minnie's mum, Harper, was the first one to hug the two and Minnie's dad, Donald, followed right after, with Ethan's parents right behind him. A long queue formed and Minnie ended up among the last ones. The queue moved slowly, since people were exchanging a few words with April and Ethan, along with giving them their best wishes.

"Beautiful ceremony," a dark male voice said from behind Minnie.

"Yes it was," Minnie agreed with her eyes still on April and Ethan. 

"Bride or groom?" the male voice asked.

"Bride." Minnie answered. "You?"

"I don't know, I kinda know them both." 

Something about his voice was familiar and when Minnie turned around and faced those familiar, deep brown eyes, she was in shock. 

Christopher.

She noticed that he looked older and taller. His shoulders were broader then they were when she last saw him. She also noticed that he had cut his hair. The slightly longer hair, that he had always worn in either it's natural flow or in a man bun, was now short and slightly messy. He had also let his facial hair grow. Short, dark hairs were covering his face. It looked kinda sexy on him. Okay, it looked really sexy in him. His brown eyes held a somewhat amused expression.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," Christopher chuckled.

"What are you doing here?" Minnie whisper-yelled.

"Hello to you too, sunshine," he dared to wink at her. "I was invited."

"By who?" Minnie asked and felt her astonishment turn to anger. How dare he show up after all of these years? Here?

"Don't act like you're not happy to see me," he said and shot her one of his famous friendly smiles. 

"I'm not happy to see you," she said and turned her back to him.

Christopher grabbed her arm and spun her around so that she was facing him again. A move he used to do to her a lot when they were together and she was mad at him. A move that she had always secretly loved.

"What are you-" she was cut off by Christopher leaning in very close and speaking quietly, only to her.

"Have you forgotten that I know you? You've got that tiny sparkle in your eye that you only have when you're with me." He let go of her arm and took a step back. She slowly turned around, so that he couldn't see her and her confusion anymore.

Oh, how she hated that sparkle in her eye.

The person in front of her, Ethan's grandma, turned around and began talking to her about the beautiful ceremony, so Minnie distracted herself with that instead. But she could constantly feel Christopher's presence behind her.