Chapter 50: Turning Point

""A date? Today?"

Dan nodded enthusiastically over the phone, feeling a slight shake emerge in his hands as he held the phone, growing nervous with each passing second. "Yeah, I mean it could just be a casual day out if you want."

Sat on the couch, Phil narrowed his eyes at his friend's passive response, scoffing as he taunted his nervous friend over his shoulders "It's a date! Just admit it, Dan!"

"Sorry, what did Phil say?"

Dan quickly cursed Phil out, muttering some choice words before getting back to the phone. "N-nothing! He's just being a prick is all." Dan shuffled his feet awkwardly, darting his eyes around the room frantically as he tried to form a better sentence. "So... are you available today? Not sure what we'll be doing. But I figure a day out would be fun... and such." Dan gave himself a quiet slap on the forehead, cursing his unbearable incompetence when it came to talking with (Y/N).

Dan waited for a few moments before (Y/N) answered on the line. "Yeah, for sure! I'll be right over!"

"Don't worry about that. I'll come to your place, okay?"

"O-okay, sounds good! See you in a bit!" With that, the line went dead. Dan gently put his phone down, exhaling as he steadied his frantic heart. He was still adjusting to the fact that he was currently dating (Y/N), every interaction still holding onto its ability to render him as a bumbling lovesick idiot. He was told this would all fade away soon, but so far nothing seemed to change. He wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Dan could hear the quiet scoff of an amused Phil, the raven-haired man multitasking as he watched television while playing on his phone. Dan turned to his flatmate with a raised eyebrow. "What're you huffing about?"

Phil looked up from his phone, harbouring a teasing glint in his eye. "Oh, nothing. Just glad that you're finally taking some bold steps for once. Showing up at her place, huh? I hope you're not getting any ideas, Howell. She's an innocent girl afterall; my friend nonetheless."

Dan stood in place, momentarily puzzled by what his friend was ensuing before breaking out in a crimson blush, covering his face as he convulsed wildly. "You! That's not- Phil, I would never!" He ran his fingers through his chestnut curls nervously, sweating from the embarrassment his friend has caused him. "I never understand you. One minute you're a pleasant guy to be around, the next you're implying inappropriate things! Phil Lester, where have your manners gone?"

Phil seemed to panic for a second, the thought of his pure image being tarnished scaring him for a moment. "No no! I'm only joking! I only wanted to see you get rattled because it's funny!" He put his hands together in a sort of 'forgive me' gesture, bowing his head slightly. "Sorry!"

Dan groaned, rolling his eyes as he playfully shoved Phil's arm, earning a squeak of alarm as the force of his shove toppled Phil on his side, almost causing him to roll off the couch. Dan giggled at his friend's misfortune, finding it a fitting punishment for his embarrassing comments. "You're a real piece of work, you know that? Besides, you're the one that suggested this date in the first place. So you have no right to be suggesting things so... that."

Phil stayed in his reclined position, observing the ceiling and its many swirling patterns as he spoke. "I didn't suggest anything, simply mentioned that today would be a good day for a day out." He tilted his head to the side, looking out the window to take in the clear sky, a few harmless, puffy clouds lazily traveling across the blue. "It looks like it will be a clear day today. Forecast looks good for a classic walk through the park."

"Hmm," Dan hummed, crossing his arms as he thought about the possible risks of a daytime excursion. "So you think I should throw away all plans and just go with what feels natural? You're not worried about us being mobbed by fans in public?"