Chapter 29

The harsh winter spell had finally broken after one long month of dreaded frost, the sheltered beings now emerging from their hibernation. The streets were alive with mixed chatter, the sight of emerald grass sparking joy in the hearts of the London people. Children giggled jovially as they raced across the sidewalks, chasing one another as they leaped into muddy puddles; they emerged sopping wet, but happy nonetheless. The twittering songs of park birds filled the air, their collective voices melting away any remaining source of snow. The world was now alive, inviting all living creatures to bask in its warm glory-

-and Dan couldn't think of a more perfect day to stay indoors.

Sat in front of the television, Dan laid sprawled across the couch as he waited for his friends to stop their school girl gossip in the other room. He could make out bits and pieces of what they were saying, all of it just casual banter between the two. Before their Netflix viewing, Phil had decided to show (Y/N) some of his favorite belongings, some of which (Y/N) had most definitely already seen in his videos. Speaking of, (Y/N) was officially caught up with all their videos, her dedication to understanding their career heartwarming. She was now quite knowledgeable to their personalities and had a good understanding of what they liked. Though despite this, Phil felt the need to show her everything he held dear to his heart; thankfully (Y/N) was eager to learn more.

"-and this is Lion; my dear companion! He's been through a lot with me over the past few years. He's got a heart of gold, trust me. And this is one of my plants... wait, nevermind. That was one of my plants..."

(Y/N)'s chuckles quietly drifted into the room. "Oh my God, Phil. That poor plant..." Phil let out a defeated laugh, only to be comforted by (Y/N). "Don't worry, the cactus you watered at my place is doing very well!" The two of them snickered in unison, the humor of the situation lighting their moods once more.

Dan grinned, shaking his head as he let out a scoff. "Seriously, Phil? Another one?"

Phil's voice rose to meet Dan's. "It wasn't my fault! It just happens sometimes! Now where was I... Oh! (Y/N), these are my bed sheets. As you can probably tell, they are the more lively sibling of Dan's gloomy ones. I've had them ever since I started my videos. All green and blue, they look very nice..."

Letting out an impatient groan, Dan rolled his eyes and hung his head over the side of the couch. "Come on guys! We've got Netflix to watch!" He stared surfing through the suggestions, mindlessly scanning the options. "If you don't come out soon, I'll start watching without you."

"Wait, no no! Okay okay! We're coming! Don't you dare start yet, Dan!"

Both Phil and (Y/N) emerged from Phil's room, quickly shuffling towards the couch. While (Y/N) waited patiently for Dan to move a little, Phil immediately sat himself on top of Dan, earning a loud "oof" as the wind was knocked out of Dan's chest. He forcefully shoved his flatmate off of himself, shooting him a peeved glare. "At least wait for me to get up first! Fucking hell."

Phil shrugged, grinning mischievously. He took his spot on the couch in between Dan and (Y/N), acting as the comfortable barrier separating them. Whether he did this on purpose was still a mystery, but Dan wasn't going to ask; he was pleased with the decision in the long run.

Over the last month, Dan found himself reaching relaxed territory with (Y/N). Just like he had hoped, the feelings he had developed for their friend had become manageable, no longer intruding with a flustered blush or scrambled thoughts. Granted, from time to time something would sneak through, but he was fairly confident in his ability to dampen these emotions. If all went well, he would be able to get rid of any and all thoughts towards her. Then everything would work out perfectly, nothing more than friends.