Chapter 42

After hearing (Y/N)'s outburst from behind the closet door, the two boys held their breath as they listened to her quiet sobs, frozen in shock from the uncharacteristic rage that boiled over in their friend. Phil looked towards the direction of Dan, the dimly lit closet making it impossible to correctly make out his features. Judging by the heavy atmosphere that practically choked the two, he figured Dan was equally taken aback as he was. "We have to go out there!" whispered Phil, urgently tugging on Dan's arm as he pushed for the door.

Dan was one step ahead of him, practically kicking the door open as he rushed towards the spot where (Y/N) was hunched over, quiet sobs wracking her tired body. "(Y/N)?", called Dan, his words slow and tentative. "Are you okay?"

(Y/N) heaved a great sigh, roughly swiping her arm across her raw eyes. She sniffed loudly, hiccuping once before looking up at the boys. Phil's heart shattered when he saw the layers of pain that painted her face. "I'm fine. Really, I'm fine. Just... give me a moment." She abruptly stood up, spooking Dan as he quickly hopped away from her. Dan's eyes darted towards Phil as his gaze flooded with concern. Phil looked back, mirroring the same confusion.

(Y/N) began bending down to collect various objects that littered the ground, some of which included women's lingerie and articles of clothing. She snatched them without care, harshly bunching them into a ball as she carried them out to the living room. The boys watched wordlessly as she carried on her ritual, silently following behind as they observed her behaviors. Once the garments had been collected, (Y/N) continued searching her apartment for anything that didn't belong to her. She kept a steely frown on her lips, her eyes narrowed as she flicked her eyes back and forth through the room. She eventually laid eyes on Hailey's suitcase, the traveling box carelessly left open as objects spewed over the edge. (Y/N) simply placed the balled up fabrics back into the suitcase, throwing any remaining belongings back into the case. She hastily zipped up the bag, remaining deadly silent through the whole ordeal. Without any emotion, she wheeled the suitcase towards the front door and placed it outside of her flat, slamming the door with great force; Phil yelped from the sudden noise, his heartbeat becoming erratic from the scare.

The boys watched from afar as (Y/N) kept her back to them, standing motionless in front of the door. Phil swallowed nervously as he approached the girl, lightly placing a hand on her shoulder. "(Y/N)?"

She sighed loudly, turning to face the raven-haired man. She smiled sadly, a lone tear running down her cheek. "Hey, how's it going?" She looked at the door, seeming lost in thought. "Sorry, I didn't mean to slam the door like that. It just kind of... happened I guess." (Y/N) looked back at Phil, gently taking his hand away from her shoulder. "I think I'm going to go back to bed. I don't really feel like standing right now." Phil dragged his eyes downwards, taking note of how (Y/N)'s legs shook relentlessly. Her entire figure was taken over by exhausted trembles.

Dan stepped closer, seeming alarmed by how weak she looked. "Here, I'll bring you back to your room. You look like you can hardly stand." He extended his arm outwards as he walked over to (Y/N), bringing his left arm around her side as he gently coaxed her forward. (Y/N) was too tired to protest, as evident by the lack of flustered interaction that usually took place. As Phil watched the blank expression across her face, he knew she was definitely shaken up by everything that had happened. Dan looked back at Phil, his expression troubled. "I think we should stay the night; we can't leave her alone like this."

Phil nodded in agreement, thankful that Dan was thinking the same thing that he was. There was absolutely no way he was going to leave their friend along after all that had happened. (Y/N) needed to be around her friends. Her real friends. "I agree completely. But only if (Y/N)'s okay with it." Both of the boys looked towards the girl expectantly, silently hoping that she would allow it.