Chapter 4

When you finally called Hailey, her reaction wasn't the one you were hoping for.

After walking away from the door, you were able to make your way back into the public eye of the convention, the busy chattering of nearby people surprisingly comforting as you regained your composure. You felt absolutely dazed and confused when you came back to the real world, a feeling of awe consuming you. Had you really just escaped from a secret Youtube party after being chased by two scary security guards? Yes, you did- and it was incredible. You've never been someone people considered daring; you always followed the rules, keeping yourself distant from trouble. What you just did was literally the meaning of trouble! Yet in the end you were left with a slight buzz, the adrenaline still persistent in your sore, shaky legs. If you weren't in a position of begin caught and thrown out, one could say that it was fun.

Well, not all fun, but mostly fun.

You managed to clumsily push your way through the diminishing crowd, noting how the place had begun to filter out as the day neared an end. You gave a cautious glance towards the windows of the building, a warm sunset beginning to envelop the buildings outside. You grit your teeth in annoyance as the beams of light flashing into your eyes, momentarily blinding you. It was this late already, you wondered how long you had been gone?

Long enough for the sun to start setting; Shit, you haven't even found Hailey yet. You hastily brought your phone out of your pocket, taking your newly acquired black charger as you ducked to a nearby wall outlet, diving forward as you forcefully plugged in the prongs. Your eyes lit up once the familiar icon of a charging battery popped up, illuminating the once void screen. You waited for the phone to turn on, your palms beginning to sweat nervously as you anticipated the worse. Had she tried to call you? Was she worried sick? Hell, enough about yourself, was SHE okay? You had left her for god knows how long, the least you could do was give her a simple sigh that you were alive!

You waited a few more moments before your lock screen appeared, everything seemingly normal for the time being. No notifications, no missed calls, nothing. Your revived phone sat quietly in your hands, a peaceful silence as it lay still. Well, now that your phone was up and running, you could at least-

The phone vibrated with immense force as messages flooded in by the dozens, the sudden action almost causing you to drop your phone. You gripped it tightly with wide as you let your eyes wander across the screen:

Hailey: 34 unread messages

14 missed calls

10 Snapchats

1 new Instagram post

Oh shit, you were in so much trouble now.

With shaky hands, you slowly brought your fingers to the screen as you found Hailey in your phone contacts. You held your breath as you pressed the green icon, an ominous ring jingling in your ear. The sound of your heartbeat was deafening, rocking your body as you waited for a response. The first ring lead to nothing, as did the second ring. Now it was your turn to panic. Why wasn't she picking up? Had something happening to her without your supervision? Was she... still in that god awful lineup?

The ringing stopped as you were greeted with a familiar voice on the end pf the line, though it didn't sound so impressed. You could feel the anxiousness radiate from the phone as Haley spoke, her words strained. "Do you have any idea how long I was looking for you!! I was literally in full out panic mode when you didn't answer me! I called, texted, Hell I even sent you snaps! I was seconds away from calling the police before you decided to finally call me! Why the fuck didn't you answer me, (Y/N)!?"

You shrunk away from the phone at your friend's furious tone. She had never yelled at you like this before, never in all your years of friendship. Sure you would jokingly yell at each other over stupid things, eventually falling on your default giggles. However this time there was no laughter. You had genuinely made her worry for your safety; you felt like an absolute asshole.