Chapter 24 - When bad goes crazy

NOT EDITED

Chapter 24 - When bad goes crazy

Zane
"How do you feel?"

"Like a crazy witch snapped my neck." I smiled. "I'm sorry your highness. It just came out."

"It's fine." I helped her to sit up. "Do you feel strange in any other way?"

"I don't think so. Why? Should I?"

"Never mind then. Zaphaya!" I called for her.

"Your highness." She appeared in seconds. I rolled my eyes. She was just making fun of me now.

"It seems I'm in need of your assistance."

"Is this an official matter, or are you asking for a personal favour?"

"I'm asking a personal favour. I need you to take Evangeline away."

"Your highness, have I done something to upset you?"

"You haven't. For now, I need to keep you safe and away from my brother. He thinks you're dead. It has to stay that way, for now at least." She was confused. I saw it on her face. "Zaphaya will take care of you for as long as possible. You can trust her."

"I don't understand your highness. If I haven't done anything wrong, why do I need to hide away?"

"It's complicated." I took both her hands in mine. "It might seem like I'm sending you away unjustly, but it's for your own good and for the good of my brother. I'm sorry." I grabbed her head between my fingers and willed her to remember, willed her to remember all the memories I took away and have been taking away. Zaphaya followed along closely. If I was going to ask this of her she needed to know why. Once I was sure all her memories had been returned I released her. Her confused expression turned to one of understanding.

"Elijah is..."

"Don't finish that. You must never utter those words."

"You're trying to keep me from him."

"I'm not trying to keep you from him. I'm trying to keep you both safe, and from harming each other. When you have the time go through your memories carefully and you'll understand why I have to do this. Here." I held the letter my father had given me out to her. "Maybe the answers you're seeking are inside there. I really am sorry Evangeline. I'm sorry things have to happen this way."

She flung herself into my arms and I stumbled backwards. "Don't make me leave. Don't make me leave him."

"I'm sorry. Zaphaya! Take her." Zaphaya dragged her away kicking and screaming before disappearing from my sight.

"Care to tell me what that little scene was about?"

"You're awake." My arms circled her, enjoying her warmth. "Eli?" She shook her head.

"Not yet."

"How did you recover so fast?"

"I missed you so I fought to come back to you. What do you think?" She rolled her eyes. "I'm waiting."

"On?"

"Your explanation. I'm going to choose to believe you didn't keep anything from me and seeing Eva alive just now is all some big illusion and I'm still passed out."

"Sit down."

"I'll stand, thank you very much."

"You might be awake but your body is still recovering. Sit." She did. "I read my father's letter."