Chapter 17: Explaining

"I'm not Sarah." The maid repeated. Exo's mouth lifted into a half-smirk. Of course she wasn't Sarah, how could he forget her name? 

"Yes, I know. You're not Sarah." He agreed,  throwing his arms into the air as if to give up. She bit her lip. He moved closer to her, his hand stroking her chin. This was the girl she remembered clearly. That's all he had to keep to memory; her grey eyes and brown hair, her. 

"You can be Gwenyth when you're four years old, Minerva when you're five ..." 

"But," He paused, tilting her chin high to level her eyes with his. "You will always be Sarah to me."

The maid's eyes wavered and Exo knew he had her attention now. Little Sarah, how much he had imagined the day she returned. How many times had he replayed the scene in his mind? Little Sarah? He knew from the day she left, she was bound to be his forever.

Looking down at her now, he slowly closed his eyes, lowered his head. Exo gave her long lingering kiss. Sarah lets Exo take her hands, carry her in his arms, bring her to his little place just down the road.  

********

Allen and Lenalee treaded down the gravel road. Timcampy was doing a great job leading the way, its long yellow wings fluttering in the early morning breeze. Allen shielded his eyes with his hand as the sun appeared in the horizon.

Careless, he trips and falls down headfirst.

"Allen! Are you alright?" a worried Lenalee exclaimed.

"I'm fine." Allen says. He gets up slowly, rubbing his forehead furiously. His eyes darted to Timcampy, who thankfully stopped to wait for the two Exorcists. Good, they were still heading eastwards, still heading towards General Cross. 

***

After crossing the mountains, they soon headed downhill. Before they knew it, they entered a valley filled with roses. Red roses sprouted miles on both sides of the gravel road, so full in bloom that Allen starts wondering if they were heading the right way. He glances up at Timcampy who assures him that they are on the right track. 

The yellow shiny metal ball floated carefreely above them. 

"Wow, how beautiful." Lenalee remarks. She reaches out to finger the dew patterned rose when a scream shocks both of them. Allen's eye activates.  

"Akuma!" He shouts. Both of them drop their suitcases and jumped straight into action. In the sky, Lenalee's boots stripped away and her Innocence took over. Allen released his parasatic arm and both of them attacked the Akuma.

One slash, one kick, one cut and the Akuma was gone.

"Sir are you okay?" Allen immediately asks. Lenalee follows with a "You're not injured are you?"

The man stutters as he replies. "No..uhhh.noo." 

Judging by the straw hat, tan skin and gloves, he must be a rose gardener. The man bends down to gather the fallen roses into his straw basket before standing up and walk.

"I was heading to Rose Valley when I ran into two travellers. I was going to ask where they were headed when their bodies burst and these monsters came out. I'm sure you know the rest."  

He picks two at random and hand them to Allen and Lenalee as a sign of graitude. 

"Thanks to you guys, my roses are still good to go for the Rose Festival happening at Rose Valley." The gardener says.