thirty-three: the verdict is in

EGYPT CUNNINGHAM

I paced the hallway waiting for the hour to pass. The more I checked my watch was the more time felt as if it was slowing down around me. The people in the hallway were pretty quiet for the most part, a few whispers here and there as people reminisced on everything that had just unfolded in the court room. With no doubt in my mind, did I believe anyone left with harsh feelings towards Priya. Even the media team seemed to have been less harsh with their interviews.

Priya's confession changed the whole atmosphere and in fact, changed my entire mood. There was an uneasy feeling over me as my mind ran back to a day, I had tried so hard to forget. The last day Priya really spoke to me as a child, I wasn't sure as to why at the time nor did I follow media coverage enough to know. It wasn't until this very moment that I realized, I could've saved her, and I didn't. I felt like such a failure to the point where if she didn't win this case, it would be another failure on my point.

That pressure alone, added to the millions of thoughts that filled my mind to its capacity. My stomach growled with hunger and my eyes even begged for the sleep that I gave up last night, but all of that was the least of my worries. I just needed to know what was about to happen next.

"She's getting life, for sure." I heard a blond lady to the left of me say, before sipping on her coffee. I glanced over at her with knitted brows, "I know that judge, been to many of his cases before. There's no such thing as mercy in Marshall's court." The lady took one last sip before walking off.

I watched until she made it around the corner before I decided to unbutton my suit jacket and lean against the wall. I closed my eyes and silently prayed, for the 70th time since being out here, I could only imagine how annoyed God might've been with me but right now I needed it.

"I hope all that praying works." A deep voice said, growing closer to me. My eyes slowly opened, and I looked up to see a young, tatted young man. Unlike the rest of us, he was wearing street wear; tattoos exposed, jewellery for days.

"And you are?"

"Rohan Mills." He smirked, sizing me up. "A friend of Priya's." he finally concluded.

"Ah, I see."

"Yes sir." He leaned against the wall next to me and shrugged, "What do you think is going to happen?"

"I can only pray for the best and keep the faith until then?"

"And what makes you so confident in that faith?"

"He's never failed me yet... why would I complain?"

"Aint you... Alexis' husband."

"For... now, yes." I nodded, before lowering my brows. "And you know this, how?"

"I know a lot of things," he said, "just like I know that girl in there deserves the world and more for all she's been through." He cleared he throat as his voice cracked towards the end, eventually Rohan reached into the inside pocket of his coat and passed me a folded piece of paper.

"What's... this?" I was hesitant, but he didn't really give me much of a choice in regards to taking it.

"I'm about to leave but before I do, I want you to keep this in your pocket until the judge announces his verdict. You will understand it then."

"Regardless of what it is?"

"Regardless of what it is." He nodded, "and don't let her know who it came from."

"... why not?"

"Priya deserves a fresh slate and from that look I saw her give you in court, I know you're the nigga that can give her just that." He outstretched his hand and I reluctantly dapped him up. "You need to work on your swagger but you'll do..."