twelve: where you at?

PRIYA PATTERSON

"Yeah, okay and what about the April account?" Pierre said into the phone as he used my notebook to write down whatever it was that Pharrell was telling him. I rolled my eyes as I looked down and picked at the weak bow-tie pasta that sat in my plate.

I looked away as the waiter made his way over to our table. "Would you like a refill?" he asked, gesturing towards my wine glass. I hadn't noticed that I had finished it off, being as I wasn't much of a drinker and this was my 3rd maybe... 4th glass thus far. I simply shook my head, wiping my mouth with a napkin.

"Just a glass of water will do."

"Sounds good and for you sir?" he asked Pierre, who of course, was too invested in his conversation to even notice. I scoffed and the waiter noticed as he stood there nervously.

"You know what... I think I should have another." I pointed towards my wine glass, "matter of fact, the whole bottle will suffice."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." I smiled and said,

"Coming right up."

I waited until the waiter left before I glared right at my husband, annoyed was an understatement at this point in time and the fact that I was beginning to feel a buzz wasn't making it any better for me. I let out a loud, dramatic sigh and finally, his eyes shifted from the paper to me. "Give me just one second Rell..." he said into the phone before covering the speaker to speak. "I'm sorry babe.".

"Why did you bring me here?" I blurted out, "if you knew you'd be busy you should've left me in my zone where I was."

"I didn't expect for Pharrell to call me, you know how messy my office is. I normally set everything to the side for him but unfortunately I just ran out to surprise you."

"Hmmm." I pushed away the plate that was before me, leaning back in my seat.

"I promise, just a few more minutes, I want to make sure he has everything together. The accountant is coming later this evening and last thing I need is for the books not to be balanced properly."

"Whatever." I chuckled and just in time, my wine bottle made it's way to the table. "Thank you." I smiled.

"Not a problem, anything else for you sir?" he asked now that he finally had the chance.

"No, I'm fine." Pierre dryly responded, "matter of fact, we should be good here for a while. No need to check up on us any further." He reached into his pocket, taking out a crumpled hundred-dollar bill. "This should hold you until I'm ready to pay."

"Not a problem, sir." The young waiter, quickly picked up the bill, pushing it in his back pocket as he walked back off to the kitchen.

Pierre wasted no time, returning back to his phone call; this time speaking a bit more freely being that we were in a booth far away from the general crowd and now, he didn't have to worry about the waiter's check-ins.

I poured myself another glass of wine, downed it then refilled it again, this time taking my time to sip. I gazed out the window beside me watching as crowds passed by. After growing bored, I turned my attention to my phone which I tried not to break into. I was grown up on the idea of no phones around the dinner table, but being as I clearly wasn't important enough, I didn't care.

Hitting my home button, I noticed about 5 missed calls from Tahira and two text messages. My brows furrowed and instead of checking the messages, I decided this would be the perfect time to slip away for a few.

"I gotta call my mom." I whispered to Pierre, he looked up at me mid-sentence, gave me a casual nod then returned to jotting down the numbers.

I slid out of my seat and headed for the restrooms while I dialed her number at the same time. As soon as I placed it against my ears, Tahira answered and said. "Where are you?"