twenty-four: bosses' orders

EGYPT CUNNINGHAM

After parking and following Priya's instructions; I sat outside of the physiotherapy office with my nerves causing my throat to grow dry. My leg bounced up and down as I stared directly at the clock before me. I didn't know what Priya had up her sleeve, but I was trusting her. After her letting me know Pharrell had a hand in her being here at the hospital; it made me want to do anything I possibly could to get her out.

My phone rung and I looked down to see an incoming call from Christina. This was our usual video chat hour, one that I would normally anticipate, however, in this present moment my mind was far too busy trying to focus on what was before me and how it was all going to pan out.

I hit ignore as if on cue, by the time I turned to my right; I saw Priya being wheeled out of the room. "Oh, hello there." The therapist smiled, "you must be Jules." She said, outstretching her hand to shake mine. Jules...That was... "Priya's brother."

"Yes. I am." I rose to my feet to greet her, then looked down at Priya. "Priya's brother."

"Nice to finally meet you, it's nice of you to travel all this way to visit her."

"What can I say? The thought of my sis being down like this really put a rush on a long overdue visit."

"Oh, I can only imagine." She chuckled. "Well her session went extremely well. More steps than the last time. Priya just has to keep on pushing herself, it's going to hurt before it gets better."

"Mhmm," I hummed glancing down at her once more, "she's a soldier though, so I'm not worried."

"Neither am I." her therapist squeezed her shoulder, causing Priya to smile. "Well I'll see you tomorrow morning girl," she said before returning her attention to me. "I already let the nurses know she'll be right up, so you can go ahead and take her."

"Perfect." I nodded, walking around to where she stood so that I could push the wheelchair.

"Priya should know the floor."

"Alright, nice meeting you once again."

"You as well Jules, take care." She flashed me another grin along with a wave as I pushed Priya down the hallway towards the elevator. Once the doors open, I rolled her in and waited for them to close. "What next?"

"Basement," I hit the B, and stood back, "I saw a side exit down there when I was going to do my blood work." Priya pulled off her wrist band.

"And aren't you worried about the cameras?"

"I'm an adult, I don't need consent to leave a hospital. Not to mention the fact that by the time they notice we will be far gone."

"Gon... gone where?"

"I'll explain everything in the car."

The doors opened and I wheeled her out, luckily the hallway was clear, and I spotted the exit that Priya was talking about. I pushed open the door first and noticed the set of stairs that we had to go up in order to get to the parking lot. Looking down at the wheelchair I tried to think. The staircase was far too narrow for it to even make it up there.

Just as I began to brainstorm, I watched her rise from her seat with one swift move. Priya then stripped out of the gown she was wearing, leaving her in her pajamas. Looking at her expression, I could tell she was in pain, but that didn't stop her from moving past me and beginning to maneuver up the stairs.

With furrowed brows, I pushed the wheelchair out of the way then walked behind her; amazed at the strength she showed. As much as I wanted to help, I let her have this moment because I knew that it was good for her to physically see how strong she actually was despite this situation.