Graduation

My mother parked her car in a sea of motor vehicles. Students, all dressed in cap and gowns, walking with parents to the stadium. I smiled, knowing how hard I worked to get to this point. Endless late-night study sessions, early morning coffee, and a butt load of stress. But all that was behind me, at least for the summer that is.

My mother opened her car door and stepping out at the same time Sky and I did. Her face lit bright by the smile blooming on her lips. She truly was just as proud of me, as I was of myself. With a twinkle in her eyes, she watched me place my cap upon my head. The blue tassel dangled, brushing my plump rosy cheek.

"You are going to do great things Luna. I am so proud of everything you have accomplished." She boasted, invading my bubble, with a giant air strangling hug. The air left my lungs in a huff, while I hugged her back. The breathless words seeping from my mouth.

"I-love-you-to-mom." Was all I could manage to utter. The sounds of my sister snickering, behind my back gave me a great idea.

When my mother's love allowed me to breathe, I whispered in her ear. "Skylee needs love too, mom."

With that my mother pulled back, smiling so wide I thought her lips couldn't stretch any farther. But they did. She gave me a little push, so I stepped to the side. Sky's expression changed from amusement to dread. It was my turn to giggle now. My mother's arms swooped in trapping Skylee, holding her like a mother otter cuddling her baby. The look on her face showed an evil glare, her middle finger jabbed at me only making me laugh harder. Gotcha.

"Ok, I'm going to go get ready! See you two after!" I cheekily chimed allowing them to have a private moment I so deviously conducted. Sky glared in my direction, but I knew she wasn't to upset. She always acted like a tough ass but she's pudding on the inside.

"Hey, stranger!" Justin cheered as his long arm stretched behind my back to cup my opposite shoulder. He squeezed sandwiching me against his body, giving me his signature side hug. I swear he thought I was a doll with the way he always tucked me under his arm. He was a little brother and I a big sister, but he always acted like I needed security. He was a protective friend that felt like an overbearing bodyguard sometimes.

"Hey, chum!" I somewhat sang in a singsong tune, earning me another side hug.

"You ready for this?" He asked with excitement oozing from his body.

"Without a doubt!" I said matching his excitement.

The gym was packed, not a seat unfilled or a decoration out of place. Our class representative lined the students up, preparing us for walk in just behind the curtain. Moments later the graduation melody began to flow through the gym. The schools band keeping tune as the instructor conducted their sound. I glanced around the black curtain seeing my mother and sister take their seats. Our representative hushed the soon to be graduates, instructing them to line up in alphabetical order. It sucked, because I wanted to sit next to Justin. We all stood in line awaiting the go-ahead when the music became louder. Signaling it was time to funnel into the gymnasium, I waited until it was my turn to enter. Justin was in the front while I was in the back and that sucked for me, because I was in heels.

Finally, it was my turn to enter through the gym doors, my feet keeping pace with the music playing. A rush of pride came over me while I walked strong and tall. Secretly hoping I don't trip in front of all these people. Luckily, I didn't, but I still had to stay standing until all the students graduating had finished walking in. The college Dean, Mr. Tomas Brickman, stood at the microphone.

"Students, you may be seated." His voice rang loud and clear through the auditorium. "Today, is a great day. A day of blood sweat and tears. A day of pride, a day of pure joy. Because today is the day your future awaits. When you leave here today, you are no longer students of this college. But alumni's, destined for great things. Today is a day you will always cherish. A day that will be remembered for years to come, the day you finished your degree."