Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Because you're wearing sunglasses inside silly." Ashton smirked pulling them off, revealing my angry, sad, frustrated, red, still tipsy face to name a few.

"Here." He placed to packet in my hand. I couldn't be more relieved.

"Thank you."

"Is that all?" He asked.

"Yeh I'm going back into hiding." I explained, turning towards the counter, Ashton following me.
"Aren't you getting any?" I questioned pointing at the pain relief. He just chuckled.

"I don't get hangovers."

"Of course you don't." We laughed together. Me out of shame and Ashton probably smug.

"I think I better drop you home." He suggested hiding his grin.

"Oh really it's fine I can do with the exercise-"

"I think I better drop you home." He repeated.

"Ashton, really-"

"I think I'd-"

"Okay!" I gave in, following him to his car. We made small conversation on the way home but my throbbing head made it difficult to appear as cheery as he was. We pulled up out the front of my house and surprisingly I didn't want to get out, I enjoyed his company.

"Is something wrong?" He picked up.

"I got a call from Luke." I blurted. "He's coming home."

"And?"

"I'm scared."

"Why?"

"Because I don't know what this means."

"Well what do you want it to mean?"

I sighed not really knowing. I wanted Luke to stay on the other side of the world so I couldn't let myself fall back into our ridiculous cycle. At the same time I felt as though I needed to see him, he was like an addictive drug.

"I don't want to have feelings for him. And him being here will mean that I will." I confessed feeling slightly idiotic. I didn't even know why I was telling the guy I met only lat night all of my shit. Ash didn't answer, just let me think.

"Hey I think you have a visitor." He said softly, putting his hand on my shoulder. Gina had just pulled up and was climbing out of the car. I laughed out loud at the irony.

"I'll call you." I promised giving him a quick hug. "And thanks for the ride" I smiled sheepishly. We said our good byes and I watched as Ashton pulled out of the lot.

"Gina!" I called to the woman knocking at my door as I briskly walked over. "I just spoke to Luke." I explained before she could ask me. She gave me a big hug and shared her obviously devised plan.

"Come for dinner at mine one night and it will be less awkward. I know he won't give up until he sees you." She pleaded part of her case and of course I felt obliged to agree after all this woman has done to look after me. Her visit was short and precise but it was the happiest if seen her in months. I knew Gina missed her boys indescribably and that Luke's return would bring back a piece of herself.

The rest of my day was spent at home. Cleaning, finishing off work and lazing. I was glad I didn't have to go anywhere today and I noted to myself that drinking shots of tequila with boys I don't know is no longer on the agenda. It was just my luck that I didn't get some slime bag that wanted nothing but sex. I had dinner made by six and cleaned up by seven, something that hadn't been done religiously like it should be. By ten I couldn't keep my eyes open, a blessing seeing as I didn't want to play over my reunion with Luke in my head a thousand times more.

I woke up on Sunday at nine. I felt refreshed and no longer felt the heaviness of my hangover. Making my way to the shower, I grabbed some comfy clothes, planning on spending today as I did yesterday- minus the headache. The warm water eased the tension that I was unaware of in my muscles and allowed me to catch my breath from reality. Just as I was getting out and getting dressed I heard a clang downstairs. I automatically blamed my imagination until I heard another one. There was an intruder in my home, I thought to myself as my blood ran cold. "Hello!" I screamed out, making myself known. Nothing. "Hello!" I screamed louder as I heard another noise. "I'm calling the police!"

"It's just me!" And I swear my blood turned to ice. My whole body frozen on the spot. Luke.
I crept slowly down the stairs still terrified at the chance that I had miscalculated the situation and it wasn't in fact him. I hadn't. There he was. Sitting at my dining room table with a coffee, looking like it was a ritual he followed every morning and I couldn't help myself from thinking that I could get used to the sight I saw in front of me.

Luke's eyes met mine for the first time in twelve months and like the baby I was, I stood there crying, covering my face with my hands. I was completely overwhelmed and shocked. Every wish I had held for Luke to stay away from me dissolved and it hit me just how much I wanted to see him.

"Hey," Luke tried to soothe me, quickly getting up and walking over the where my feet were planted. Without hesitation he wound his arms around me protectively and it felt like home. "Please don't cry." He begged.

"But you're here." Was all I could think. He was actually here. After a whole year he was right in front of me.

"I'm here." He confirmed with a chuckle.

"You need to leave." I tried to collect myself and stick to what I'd told him on the phone.

"I'm not leaving." He laughed again even though I wasn't trying to joke. "I'm never leaving you again." He added, he removed my hands from my teary face. "I've missed you so much." He breathed. I could barely speak, just look at him in disbelief that he was actually home.

"You have a lot to explain. You can't just come back and expect that I fall back into your arms." Ironic since the only thing holding me up was his arms around my waist. And the fact that I did want him.

"Why not?" He looked confused. "This is why I'm here. You are."

"I can't be the blame of the Janoskians breaking up Luke." I defended myself.

"You're not. I am. You're the reason I'm to blame." He teased, making a slight smile break onto my face. "Ruby." He smiled again, stroking my hair. "I'm here because I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I don't care where we are or what we're doing as long as you're with me. No 'ifs' or 'buts' this time, I promise." He said so sweetly that I remembered exactly how I fell in love with him all over again.

"You're not proposing are you?" Luke just laughed.

"Well if you want to get that far ahead." He got on one knee.

Now it was my turn to laugh.
"Get off the floor." I pulled him up so that we were once again face to face.
"I don't ever want to feel the way I felt when you left Luke." I felt sick remembering when he first left for LA. "And I don't want to fall flat on my face again."

"We'll take it slow." He reasoned. "I'll look after you, I swear." He said kissing my creased forehead.

"Are you sure you can keep these promises?" I tested.

"Anything for you." He looked me dead in the eye making my heart melt simultaneously.

"So are you still mad at me?" He teased.

"Very." I remarked sarcastically.

"But you're still in love with me?"

"Very." My eyes scanned over Luke as I absorbed his adoring expression. I still couldn't really believe what was going on. His chuckle echoed through the room, adding life to it once more.

"What?" I giggled, confused at what was so funny.

"Kiss me already." He grinned, and I happily did just that.

----------------------------------

THIS IS NOT THE END, ALL EXPLAINED IN AUTHORS NOTE UP TOP. I KNOW THIS WAS PROBABLY CHEESY AND CLICHE BUT WHAT FANFIC ISNT XX