4 | A break with friends

Start from the beginning

"Your aura is fluctuating," Luna told her in that airy voice of hers.

Ginny frowned, waving her hand around her head and body. "Don't read my aura. You might not like what you see."

Neville laughed. "What's wrong?" he asked.

She sighed, brushing a lock of hair behind her ear that broke free from her braid. "Nothing. Terrible day," she muttered but didn't elaborate. Neither Neville and Luna never pried.

She stretched just as Hannah approached with three Butterbeers. Ginny took a sip and sighed. "Thank you," she said.

They laughed.

Hannah stepped away then came back with their plates. "Here you go, Luna, your steak and kidney pudding. The shepherd's pie's yours, Ginny. And for you Neville, the lamb chops." She smiled sweetly at the man.

"The tragedy of love," Ginny muttered.

Luna chuckled while Neville and Hannah blushed. He threw his napkin at her. "Stop it," he said, as Hannah rushed off to continue her work.

"Oh, alright." She grinned. "Can't help myself. Both of my friends in love, one happily married. Blimey, there must be something in the water." She shook her head and looked at the Butterbeer. "Or maybe in here. Merlin, I hope not."

"Or the air," Luna pointed out. "Maybe the Nargles have some kind of illness."

Ginny smiled, shaking her head. "With Nargles around, no one is safe."

Neville rolled his eyes. "It's only been three months with Hannah. It's too soon to tell."

"Of course," she lied and shrugged when he glared. "How's your summer going? Enjoying the time off?" she asked, changing the subject.

"Always enjoy a good break." He shrugged.

"No students always means a good break," she said, taking a sip.

Luna chuckled and took a bite. "Neville loves his students," she said after.

"Of course he does," Ginny said. "I'm sure all of Fred and George's professors loved them too." And at the name, a stab shot through her heart, but she pushed through, ignoring it. She'd gotten good at doing that over the years.

Silence filled the table.

Ginny looked out across the pub, taking in the other inhabitants. Each eating, drinking, talking, and taking a moment in their day to catch up with family or friends or even a quiet moment with themselves. They should do it more often. Take a step back and enjoy life. You never knew when it would end.

A change in the atmosphere caught her attention, and she looked back to see Neville and Luna staring at each other. There was a dark look in the other woman's eyes while he stared back. Their silverware was still in their hands, and they barely even breathed.

"What?" she asked.

"Neville," Luna warned when he opened his mouth.

He shot her a look then turned to Ginny. "You know, I've been wondering..." He paused then took a deep breath.

The look on his face worried her, and she knew that she wouldn't like the next words that came out of his mouth.

"I was wondering about Harry."

Her fork stopped halfway to her lips as her eyes collided with his. Her heart picked up. No.

"Ginny-" he tried.

Her fork clattered against her plate as she got to her feet. She slammed her hands down on the table. "We're not talking about Harry Potter."

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. He cleared his throat. "But I heard he was offered the position-"

She cut him off. "I said no." Her heart was in her throat. She couldn't breathe. Just seeing him set her off more than usual. She knew she shouldn't go off on Neville, but she couldn't help it. Harry was her past. Why couldn't anyone understand that?

She grabbed her bag.

"Where're you going?" Luna asked, grabbing her arm.

Ginny shot her a look, and Luna let go, frowning. "I'm leaving. Excuse me," and with that, she walked away, hands clenched into fists.

*               *               *

Neville watched her go then jumped when Luna smacked his arm. He glared.

"Don't give me that look, Neville. Why would you bring him up? We haven't seen her in months. You know he's a taboo subject." Luna pointed her fork at him.

He leaned back from the utensil and rubbed his neck, grimacing. "I'm sorry. I was just wondering if she'd heard about Harry's future promotion. I ran into Ron and Hermione a few days ago."

And that look she gave him. Merlin's beard, he thought, laying his hand over his chest. He'd seen it a few times since she'd graduated from Hogwarts. It was a dark look, one that set the hairs on the back of his neck on end. It was all fury and hatred and vengeance. Ginny was into something, and she should know about the promotion.

He ran his fingers through his hair and groaned. "Bugger. I screwed this up, didn't I?"

Luna waved her hand. "She'll figure it out. Now, let's finish up. Rolf and I are planning on going out tonight to look for some Corbanicus Redurious. They travel only at night and get into your body through your nostrils! They completely take over and make you act like an animal." Her silvery-gray eyes shined with excitement. "Isn't that phenomenal?"

Neville bit the inside of his cheek and nodded. But he frowned, turning to get a better look as he caught Ginny's red hair huddled close with an oddly familiar head of pale hair.

*

Ooooh. Who is it? And maaaan, Neville, speaking the taboo words! How dare he?! Anyway, thank you all for your patience. Life's been pretty crazy, and I hope to get back to publishing this story and THE WEASELS! So, keep supporting me. I really appreciate it <3