0.6

The dream became a reoccurring thing; always the same tensed atmosphere, always Zac near or touching me, always ending before anything could happen. The thick anticipation and frustration annoyed me to no end. I tried to figure out what the dreams could mean, but I had absolutely no clue why these dreams kept happening. So I could only bury them as deep as I could, and ignore them like one would with homework that was due whenever you'd like but must be handed in.

"So you know homecoming is just next week," Zac said out of the blue, I put away my books and we walked towards the cafeteria. A few people passed by and said hello, interrupting whatever Zac was going to say. 

"Yeah and?" I said after Zac fist bumped with some guy in his art class.

"Well," he draw out, a hint of uncertainty wavered in his voice. "Emma asked me to go with her,"

Both of my eyebrows shot through my hairline, Emma, my sister, had never hid her crush on Zacharias, but I didn't expect her to be this bold. "We always go together," I couldn't help but point out.

Since the first homecoming that we went together. There was an unspoken rule between us to not bring any dates to any school events. "What did you reply?" A foreign, uneasy feeling began brewing in my stomach.

"Well, I didn't accept, but I didn't reject her, I told her that I'll ask you first. Since you are her brother and my-" he coughed and then clear his throat, "best friend. If you don't want me to go with her I'll tell her no,"

Never in a thousand years did I ever expect Emma to ask Zac out, the foreboding feeling grew, "do you like her?"

Zac looked taken back, "yes," I tried not to frown and ignore the tightening feeling in my stomach, "but not that way. I see her as my little sister, but I would feel bad for rejecting her, but then if you don't approve I wouldn't want to do something you don't like either," he was rambling and looking at me with worried, chocolate eyes, like a nervous puppy afraid of getting scold for something it didn't do. The feeling in my stomach eased a bit at the fact that he didn't like her in that way.

"It's just a one time thing right? You won't lead her on?" I trusted that Zac would not be that cruel to lead her on, but what if he didn't know that he was doing it unconsciously. I knew Emma could look out for herself but it is also my duty.

"If I tell her yes I'll tell her that I see her as a little sister only," Zac said firmly.

"Okay good, then yeah you guys can go together," I was glad that my sister would be in safe hands, but the unsettling feeling in my stomach did not disappear. The thought of Zac and I not going together made it worse.

"Great, I'll text her," he got out his phone and began typing. I grabbed his elbow to steer him towards our usual lunch table, with the volleyball team. We sat down and ate our lunch as usual, eating and talking with our friends; but I couldn't get rid of the burning feeling in my stomach.

The feeling stayed with me for the entire day. After dropping Zac off, I returned home and the first thing I did was barged into Emma's room without knocking on purpose and said, "So you asked Zac to be your date for homecoming,"

She looked up from her phone and scowled at me, "yeah so?"

"You are not planning to date him right?" I stared at her hard.

She snorted, "no, I won't date my brother's best friend, besides I know he doesn't like me that way."

"Then why ask him to be your date?" I really did not understand my sister, or girls in general.

"Because I want someone hot as my date, besides I always have a thing for Zac. I'm curious of how it will be like to be his date,"

"Don't you have thousands of boys after you?" Her infamous heartbreaker reputation was hard to be oblivious to.

"Yeah but they will never be as hot as Zac, and none of them pique my interest so I'll have to do Zac," she said nonchalantly.

"You guys won't hook up right?" The thought of Emma kissing Zac made me want to puke.

"Kissing? Yeah if he wants but fucking? No I do not want to fuck my brother's best friend," she said while still typing away on her phone. I could not imagine Zac kissing Emma, my sister Emma kissing Zac, my best friend. No the image was so revolting, I wanted to puke.

"Is there anything else? You can get out of my room now thank you very much," she threw a glare at me which I returned. I left the room leaving the door just slightly ajar, to piss her off even more. Her loud swearing followed me as I returned to my room, which was just adjacent to hers. I did homework as a last resort to distract my mind, it did help for a while, until dinner when Emma casually brought it up again.

"Kaden will you be bringing anyone?" Mom asked me as Emma talked dad's ear off about this guy that kept sliding into her DMs.

I shrugged, I couldn't think of anyone that I could bring.

"You can bring Daisy!" Emma cut in suddenly, "she needs a date and kept using that as an excuse to not attend,"

"So I bring Daisy and Zac brings you, do you know how weird that is?" I said incredulously.

Emma shrugged, "it's just a suggestion,"

And she suggests that I bring Daisy. I texted Zac.

LMAO I mean you can, since I'm bringing Emma anyways

But isn't that too weird?

Hmnn maybe but who cares lol unless there's someone else you want to bring?

Nah okay then can you ask Daisy does she mind if I bring her

I replied to a few other text messages from some friends while waiting for Zac to reply.

She doesn't mind, but she is grumpy that Emma is forcing her to go and forcing you lol Zac texted a few minutes later.

😂😂😂 I wouldn't want to be Emma's friend either

LOL good thing you're her brother instead

Yeah

Oh yeah ask her if I have to match with her or something

Sure wait

I barged into Emma's room again without knocking, her death glare would have murdered me if I was not immune to it. "So does Zac have to match with you?"

She continued to scowled at me while thinking, "yeah I'm wearing red,"

"Okay," and I left her door wide open

"Daisy's wearing blue! Match with her too!" She shouted at me as she shut her door.

She's wearing red, she says match with her I texted Zac

Okay, so I guess you will have to match with Daisy too huh

Yeah blue

LMAO blue and red we really are a pair huh

Yeah we are I didn't know why the text sounded so wistful.