XIV

Brett was browsing through Neflix on his television. He was feeling oddly bored now after having practiced for a few hours.

Suddenly, the sound of keys being turned was heard from the front door all the way to the living room. He smiled. Brett knew who it was as there was only ever one other person who had a copy of the key to his apartment.

Shuffling was heard and the door closed shut. Eddy emerged from the corner, his face downcast and drained of life.

"Hey." Brett smiled at him.

"Hey." Eddy cracked a smiled back, but Brett can see it wasn't as brilliant as it used to be. He abandoned his backpack to the side and flopped face first onto the couch next to Brett.

"You okay?"

"Yea- no. I don't know.." His voice muffled.

"Aw.. Come here." He motioned for Eddy to come closer.

Eddy crawled forward and gratefully rested his head on Brett's soft and ample thighs.

He gently caressed Eddy's hair. Running his fingers through the soft tuft. He didn't want to say or ask anything. Eddy seemed like he had a rough day. The last thing he wanted was for the other man to bring it up and stress over it again. And so he played with his hair mindlessly, lost in thoughts.

Eddy appreciated the sentiment, he really did. He found it therapeutic and comforting to be able to feel Brett's affectionate touches. He breathed slowly, trying to calm himself and disassociate from his troubled thoughts.

After a while, Eddy broke the silence.

"I feel like I'm constantly stuck between 'I'm proud of myself' and 'I'm not doing enough'." He murmured in a weary voice so small, Brett wondered where did the ever so sprightly Eddy went.

'I guess we all have one of those days..' Brett thought.

"Eddy, we both know this. You're a great person. You always do your best."

"That's just what they all say. They're always praising me. I can't help but to try and meet up to the expectations. But when I couldn't, I feel terrible and disappointed in myself. I'm tired.."

It broke his heart seeing his loved one looking so dejected. If there was only a way for Eddy to know his worth, he would gladly do so in a heartbeat.

"Hey." Brett spoke tenderly as he turned Eddy's head to look him in the eyes.

"Just so you know, you don't have to search for approval from me. You did your best. That's all that matters. No matter how you did, will never change how I feel about you. I hope you understand that and not beat yourself up too much. It can't bear to see you looking so glum." He stroked Eddy's cheek sadly, hopefully getting his feelings through.

"I wish I could do more. But all I can offer is some words of comfort. I'm sorry.." Brett said regretfully.

Simply by hearing this from Brett filled Eddy's heart with overflowing happiness. He wondered what did he ever do to deserve Brett Yang.

"I know. I've known that for a long time. That is why I'm glad I've met you. You understand me like no one does. And I'm so glad that we're together like this. Thank you for saying that." He reached out and brought Brett's hand to his lips, kissing it as a token of his gratitude and affection.

He looked up to his significant other and smiled contently at the realisation that no matter what, he would always have someone on his back.