Chapter 15: A Chance

Griffon⬆️

***

Rose silently chasted herself as she mixed the eggs, flour, and milk. Had she really thought that it would be a good idea to flirt with Scorpius, offer to help him find a house, and then proceed to invite him to the match?  Her boyfriend's match to be exact. Her boyfriend who would surely see him and not be pleased. Probably not. But something in her just couldn't stop. When he leaned in with those intense grey eyes, it was like they'd thrown a lasso around her. She hadn't even realized she was leaning in until Scorp was suddenly only a few inches away.

Not her finest moment. Despite their minor flirtatious mishap, it felt right to invite him. Quidditch was one of Scorpius' favorite hobbies. Back during school, he was an excellent chaser, even better than James. When he was on that pitch it was pure magic. Not that Hogwarts ever lacked in that, but there was something completely different about watching him play. He flew around so gracefully it was like he had been born to fly. Everyone thought he'd follow after James and go pro. Rose didn't share their opinion. Even before he told her about the job offer, she knew he wouldn't be a professional quidditch player. It just wasn't him. While James was anxious to join a team and greet the fame, Scorp wasn't. He'd once confessed that he had enough attention growing up with the last name Malfoy. The thought of living in the spotlight was unattractive to him. That still didn't mean he wouldn't like to watch. When Rose invited him, Scorp was a little hesitant to accept, but with some coaxing, he agreed and couldn't hide his eagerness. Rose gave him a spare ticket and told him to meet them at the pitch half an hour before the match.

Rose owled Griffon, who was at the pitch warming up, about the newest attendee. He hadn't yet owled her back, but Rose was hoping he had at least read it. That way he wouldn't be surprised seeing Scorpius at the game. If he didn't Rose was prepared to soften him up with his favorite cookies.

***

With a platter of cookies in hand, Rose offered one to the security guard, before heading down to the Canon's changing rooms. It was uncustomary for non-players to be down there before the games started but Rose could usually coax her in by offering up food. She'd done it a few times before and hadn't had any complaints yet.

"I hope you're all dressed," Rose yelled keeping her eyes firmly closed as she pushed aside the curtains. "I come bearing sweets."

Excited hums rang about and all at once everyone surged forward. Rose could feel them drawing closer and in seconds she was surrounded. The plate in her hand which was heavy with cookies now felt light and empty.

"Thanks, Rose!"

"You're the greatest Rose!"

Rose smiled and offered polite welcomes blindly.

A hand clamped down on her waist drawing her closer and the ever-familiar scent of sugar evaded her nose. "I'm assuming it is safe to open my eyes?"

Griffon's warm breath tickled her ear as he laughed. "Yes, you dork."

Rose opened her eyes hesitantly. The first time she walked into the Cannon's men's changing room unannounced she'd been unfortunate enough to run smack into James who was running around clad in only a towel. In his surprise, the towel dropped. Let's just say Rose hadn't been the same since and always made sure to enter the rooms with her eyes closed not wanting to take any chances.

The male players buzzed around excitedly preparing for their game. In total there were only five of them: Jack, the seeker; Uberto, one of their beaters; Gordon, an extra chaser, and of course James and Griffon. The rest of their team was made up of females and they had their own locker room to use.