Chapter 4: Over the Years

Scorp was still in a state of shock. Even after he and Al packed his belongings (which depressingly all fit into one trunk) and apparated outside one of the many entrances to the ministry, he still couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that he was home.

Or that he had his wand in his hand again. Or that he was back in the world he had grown up with.

He especially couldn't believe that in twenty-four hours, he'd see Rose Weasley once again.

Or that in a few hours he'd be back at his family mansion with his parents, who he missed desperately.

It all seemed like a dream. Some alternate reality. His mind was in a haze as Albus apparated them outside an old telephone booth in a secluded part of London.

Scorp wanted to have a quick look around the city. Out of all the places he traveled, the Ministry purposely kept him out of the U.K. to avoid the risk of running into anyone he knew.

He missed the cobblestone streets that spoke of an older time.

Albus crushed that dream and insisted they get to the ministry quickly. They stepped into the guest entrance which was filled with old newspapers and an unpleasant scent, that smelled suspiciously like urine. Scorp was too excited to care.

When the booth began to sink further into the ground, Scorp reminded himself that it was perfectly normal for a solid object to mystically submerge into solid concrete. Wizards didn't use things such as stairs like muggles. No, they did things the fancy way. This, Scorp realized, was going to be something that would take time adjusting too.

When they managed to get the trunk out of the telephone booth, Albus led him to one of the elevators, as he bid good morning to everyone as they passed.

Some gave Scorp a curious look. He didn't know if they recognized him or were shocked to see him so strangely dressed in muggle clothes. He didn't pay them much attention, he was too busy staring at his surroundings.

His father used to take him along to the Ministry when he had business. Even then Scorp had been giddy with excitement. Now he was like a young child again, staring in wonder at everything.

Albus laughed, poking fun at him for acting awestruck by everything they passed.

Scorp should have been embarrassed. He wasn't acting like the well mannered adult his Mother raised him to be. He just couldn't help it. It was like seeing everything again for the first time.

Pure magic.

It took a few minutes before Albus could get Scorp in the lift, as he was too enthralled in his surroundings. Once they finally reached the first level, Albus was filled with amusement over his best mate's reaction to everything.

He thought Scorp was going to piss himself with excitement when another wizard joined them in the lift carrying an arm full of sneakoscopes.

Eventually, they reached Albus' 'office.' Which was a small cubicle filled with files, candy wrappers, and quills. It was unorganized and messy. Totally Al.

"You're a slob." Scorp smiled, happy that some things never changed.

Albus scowled at him, leaning the trunk against the wall of the cubicle. "I just haven't had time to clean it. I've been busy as the Junior Assistant to the Minister. I've got to make sure that her schedules are in order and that everything runs smoothly. Things have been hectic lately." He ran a hand down his face, letting out a heavy sigh, before putting on a bright smile and clapping his hands. "Now you've got a meeting with the minister in two minutes. She is expecting you."