Chapter 5: Time Stops

Grey met blue.

Time appeared to stop. The indistinctive sound of Al saying hi was only a small buzz. The crackling fire that moments before radiated so much heat it formed beads of sweat on her hairline suddenly fizzled out sending a chill throughout the room. Goosebumps coated her pale arms, as her eyes widened in disbelief.

For the first time in five years, eleven months, and two days, grey met blue. All Rose could do was stare. Her feet refused to move. Her mouth stopped working.

All she could do was stare. He was there. In front of her. Mere inches away. Close enough to touch. Close enough to hug. Still, all she could do was stare.

She took in his appearance, which changed a lot since she last saw him. What once was a scrawny boy, was now a well-built man. Once upon a time, he struggled to grow any facial hair. Now his square jawline was filled with stubble. His hair which used to look so messy, was now styled in a way that made the "sexy roll out of bed look" appear effortless. His skin was tanner, his jawline more defined, and his body well built revealing that he at least made some sort of effort to work out.

He was different, older, and more mature, but yet he was exactly the same. The smile that tugged on his face was the same one that made her knees buckle when he'd flash it her way. The same one he'd wear after winning a quidditch match. The same one that would grace his face when he learned a new muggle fact. His grey eyes were the exact ones that twinkled at her like she hung the stars in the sky. The same ones that used to roll when Al made a remark about how quidditch was complete rubbish. The exact pair that she had dreamed of seeing again and was seeing right now.

"Hi." He whispered breathlessly.

Even his voice sounded the same; deep and sincere.

"Scorp," Rose said shakily, her eyes refusing to leave his.

Slowly Rose took her hand and pinched herself in the arm, just to make sure that it wasn't just a dream. That Scorp really was standing there, within her reach. She'd dreamt this very scenario so many times only to be filled with disappointment when she'd wake up.

This seemed so real. She could see the small birthmark shaped like a bird on the side of his ear. She could smell his ever-changing scent, which now smelled like sweets. She thought that she could even hear the thump-thump of his heart.

This is real. He is here.

Scorpius chuckled at her actions, amused that her first reaction was to pinch herself. "Rosie."

That was all it took to send Rose rushing into his all too familiar arms.

He caught her, immediately wrapping his arms around her waist. He tucked his head into the crook of her neck.

She still smelled like vanilla. After so long how could she still smell the same? Perfume? Natural scent? Magic? Whatever the reason, he didn't care. As long as she still radiated that mind distracting vanilla scent, he would not complain.

Scorp wrapped his arms tighter around her at the thought, afraid that if he let her go she would disappear.

Rose nearly cried when his all too familiar scent filled her nose. She never had been able to peg what exactly he smelled like. His scent seemed to change like the hour. Yet there was something about him that was just so distinctly him.

Rose's arms encircled his neck. She leaned her head onto his chest and prayed that she would never have to let him go again.

Time stopped. It could have been seconds, minutes, or hours. Voldemort himself could have returned, but neither of the wizards would have noticed. They were far too caught up with one another. They didn't hear Albus excuse himself. They didn't hear the door slam shut as he left. The didn't notice anything outside of the little bubble they created around themselves.