Chapter 13: Repetition is Key

Rose's heels clicked satisfyingly against the marble floors of the Ministry as she strutted down the hall. The leather bag Griffon gifted her for Christmas, smacked against her hip as she walked. If anyone were to glance out of their office doors and see her they would think she looked perfectly composed in her silver robes. Her hair was styled professionally in a classy up-do. Her make-up was minimal, her smile glistening, and her eyes gleaming with confidence.

On the outside she was perfect. On the inside, she was one giant ball of nerves. When she agreed to tutor him she must have been out of her mind. Here she was basically volunteering to spend uninterrupted hours with him for weeks when she needed to be at home working on her relationship. Not in the office of her ex-boyfriend. Yet, there she was early on Monday morning walking the halls of the Ministry, instead of the halls of her home where Griffon was sleeping peacefully in their bed.

When she told Griffon that she would be tutoring Scorpius at least twice a week for a month, he was not happy, to say the least. He let Rose know just how much he disapproved of the idea. After much convincing, he acknowledged that the two were only friends and that he trusted her.

"We are friends. Friends spend time together." Rose sighed to herself, as she reached his office door. Raising her hand she knocked on the door and opened it, without waiting for a reply.

Scorp glanced up, his eyes shining as the gazed at her. His hair was combed and his navy blue robes (which must have just been recently bought) pressed, making his grey eyes look almost black. He had an odd-looking square with a screen on his desk. It looked a lot like a television set but smaller. When Rose was little her Mum insisted that they get a television, so that they could watch movies together as a family. So she knew what a T.V. was, but that on his desk was not that. It was smaller and didn't have moving pictures on it. On the white screen, there were words, like a book.

Rose studied it curiously, trying to see what was written on the strange screen. Scorp, upon seeing her gaze, shut the box quickly and smiled charmingly at her.

Before he got the chance to greet her, Rose beat him to it, choosing to ignore how suddenly weak her knees felt at the smile being tossed carelessly her way. Did he not know how dangerous that thing could be? "You're ridiculous. You know that right?"

Last week when she received his letter about meeting for a tutoring session, she couldn't stop laughing. It was so like him to send her such a ridiculous letter. One that even told her to get some sleep. Which she shockingly didn't listen to. It was sweet of him to care, but when exams needed to get done nothing got in the way of that. Now that the school year was over and summer had finally made its appearance, Rose had plenty of time for sleep and time to beg for forgiveness.

She and Griffon had been on the rocks for a while now and hadn't gotten the proper time to take a step away from the sharp stones threatening their relationship. That was until the previous weekend. Once Rose finally had a chance to relax and talk with Griffon, they worked things out. She apologized profusely for lying and being an absentee girlfriend for the last month and he forgave her. For real this time.

Scorp wheeled around in his chair, causing his blonde hair to flop in front of his memorizing grey eyes. He ran a hand over the scruff growing on his chin, an amused smirk playing on his face. All morning his eyes skirted from his work back to the watch on his wrist. He was nervous. Extremely nervous. "And what have I done to earn that title?"

Rose pulled the letter he sent her out of her bag and waved it in front of her face. "Punish myself? You really give yourself no credit."

"Are you saying I wasn't the worst student you've ever had to teach?"