Prologue and Things Change Chapter 1

Начните с самого начала

Angie just stood at the door and watched, shutting off her emotions much like Bette had already done.  Tina looked at Bette and then walked over to Angie.  She took her daughter in her arms, feeling the struggle Angie was having controlling herself.  Tina pulled back and took Angie's face between her hands and looked deep into her beautiful dark brown eyes that were so much like Bette's.  She gave her a sad smile and said, "I love you and I will see you in a few months." Tina then kissed Angie on the forehead.  She let Angie go, turned, walked to her car and slid into the driver seat.  Bette didn't look at her, but Tina could see the tears welled up in her eyes. 

It was Tina's resolve that got her to start the car and pull out of the drive way.  As she looked out her rear view mirror she thought the only thing more unthinkable of leaving was staying; the only more impossible thing then staying was leaving.  She wasn't trying to hurt anyone, she just wanted to slip quietly away without causing any problems or consequences and then not stop until she was in Toronto. 

*********
Chapter One

One year later

Why did everything have to be harder alone?  Bette blew out an exasperated breath as the car in front of her backed into the parking space she wanted. It was the third time it had happened. Ever since she moved to Silver Lake close to three years ago, she had struggled getting used to driving and parking a car again. New York with all its hustle and bustle had public transportation, cabs and private drivers, all of which Bette used during the ten years she spent living there with... Bette sighed.

She circled another the block, creeping along a line of cars slowed by stop signs and street lights at every corner. Strolling seemed to be the new thing. It seemed wherever Bette went she had to slow down for a pedestrian. Silver Lake, with its growing LGBT community seemed to have traded cars for bikes and walking.

Was someone pulling out in the next block? She couldn't see for sure around the SUV in front of her. Tears stung her eyes. She had gone months feeling like her old self, neck deep in the election to distract her, and now parking was welling up her eyes. She thought she had gotten the tears under control, maybe just hormones she thought wiping her eyes. Before they moved to New York, usually one of them drove while the other scouted for a parking spot. A perfect collaboration and then it wasn't. At this rate she would be late for breakfast, but then, when wasn't she late.

Bette's two best friends were already eating when she walked into Modern Eats, a popular eatery that the three friends had frequented since moving to Silver Lake. Alice Pieszecki was very animated as usual and Shane McCutcheon just nodded while sipping coffee. 

"Finally," Alice exclaimed, "I was starting to think you were bailing, like last night."

A waitress came up giving Bette a seductive smile as Bette pulled up a chair.   "Good morning Ms. Porter, it's nice seeing you this morning." Bette gave her food order without looking up, before Alice continue. Once Alice starts telling a story, getting her to stop, was like standing in front of a train.

Alice had been watching the waitress and Bette ignoring her. She then glanced over at Shane who had also been watching the exchange. Alice then began again with her elaborate description of the previous evening events, when suddenly Alice jumped up waving to four people walking in the door.

"Sophie Suarez and Sarah Finley are working on my show, Dani Nunez is Sophie's girlfriend.  If you guys hung around, I would've introduced you to them last night," Alice said sharply.

" Alice," Sophie and Finley said in unison.

"Great party last night," Sophie said, "Totally wasn't expecting the gossip."