ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ ᴛʀɪᴄᴋ - ᴢ. ᴢᴀᴛᴀʀᴀ

(B/G/F): Best Guy Friend
————————
zatanna zatara/ zatanna x reader

picture credits: DC Comics: "Detective Comics #962"
—————————
Your P.O.V

I LOVE magic. As a kid, my mom would always take me to magic shows; it may seem cliché, but my favorite act was when the magician would call up a volunteer and saw them in half! I was always so bewitched.

"How could he do this? Is she ok? Is she dead? What if he can't put her back together?"

However, these questions were always rendered useless as the magician could always magically glued them back together...

Now, as a freshman at Gotham Uni, life isn't as magical. My mom recently passed away, right after high school graduation. Dad was a little depressed at first; I mean, who wouldn't be? Your significant other, passing from this life so young... It's a good thing Dad got himself together in time to send me off though. He's still there for me, too. We talk every few weeks; he checks up on me and I check up on him. I visit for the holidays, etc. Anyways, moving on to less depressing topics, my man, (B/G/F) has NEVER been to a magic show before! With how much I talk them up, I'm surprised he hasn't! I've taken it upon myself to take him to one of my favorite joints, Enchanté. I'll call up him at 8; the best magic shows happen at night~.

Time Skip

The dress code is casual, it's kind of a classy place. It doubles as a restaurant and magic theater. However, to see the magic show, you need a magic word... I'm wearing a pair of jeans, a white button-down shirt with a couple buttons open and my Nike Air Force 1's. I told (B/G/F) that the establishment is casual; apparently that means slacks, a red button-down and dress shoes. To top it all off, an untied tie.

"Wow, I know you intern at Wayne Enterprises and whatever; but, is this what casual looks like to you, (B/G/F)?" I taunt looking in his direction from the side of my eye, parking my 2020 Audi R8.

"Please (Y/N), all the girls LOVE guys in suits, take note." (B/G/F) winks at me. I roll my eyes as we get out. I lock my car behind me as we approach the entrance. The bouncer, Vinny, extends his arm and stares us down, quirking one eyebrow. Me and Vinny are friends, but there's no exception to the rule. The password changes randomly; so, you never know if you're really in or not...

"Hey Vinny. Me and my friend are here to see..." I trail off as I lean in closer.

"... Z and the Magic Bees." I finish as I look up to Vinny. He smiles and retracts his arm. (B/G/F) bursts out laughing.

"Z and the Magic Bees? Who thought of that ridiculous password?" He snickers until he's interrupted.

"I did." An unfamiliar voice comments. (B/G/F) and I look to the source of the melodious voice heard seconds before. My eyes land on a beautiful woman with her arms crossed. She couldn't be more than 5'8, maybe 5'10 with those heels on. Due to me being 6'0 and (B/G/F) being 5'11, we slightly lowered our eyes. She has long, black hair and a rather nice figure. She's wearing red lipstick that compliments her flawless porcelain skin pretty well. She's wearing a white button up accompanied with a white bow tie and corset. She sports a black tailcoat, black shorts and to top it all off, fishnets.

"My eyes are up here, handsome." She says bringing my attention to her cerulean blue eyes.

"Uh, I, um." I stutter. She quirks one of her eyebrows at me and smirks.

"I'll see you boys at the magic show..." She trails off and gives a nod of acknowledgement to Vinny. He returns the gesture and brings his attention back to us.

"Wow..." I mutter under my breath; apparently not as discreet as I thought since Vinny chuckled at me.

"That's Zatanna. You'll be seein' her real soon..." He trails off and unhooks the velvet rope. As soon as (B/G/F) and I enter the establishment, we are welcomed with the sound of classical music. We skip the meal part of the evening and head straight for the theater. It's seating is elegant, like the atmosphere. There are around 10 tables covered in white tablecloths. We take one of the tables near the front. I look to the stage to see how early we came and when the show will begin. There is a stool on the stage with a large name card displaying the word, "Soon" in fancy, calligraphy writing. I've learned that Giovanni Zatara, the owner of the joint, doesn't give specific times to keep the mystery in the air. While we wait for the curtains to draw back, (B/G/F) nudges me and nods in the direction of the entrance. People have started to file in and take their seats. He leans over and whispers in my ear.