Chapter Seventeen

Warning for: Slight homophobia. It takes a while to actually get to it, since the build up in this is what most of this chapter is about but it's still there. Sorry :(

"So... why exactly should we trust you?" Tabbyheart asks as she observes Tigertail with suspicion.
"I know we didn't get off on good terms, but you want something from the Clan of Jewel, yes? I know their territory well. I can help you navigate it without much trouble or bloodshed." Tigertail explains calmly.
"How do you know it so well?" Mistyblue asks. Tigertail hesitates to answer but then sighs.

"Very well. I will tell you: many moons ago, my sister Stripetail and I were raised on Red Mist Island. Our mother was granted favors by the Clan of Jewel in exchange for her loyalty. However, when she had died due to a fox attack my sister and I were told we had to pay for her debts. As a result Stripetail went to work for them as a guard. Unfortunately, she let the power go to her head and," Tigertail's tail droops and her voice becomes lower, "it all happened so quickly... I didn't expect them to... hurt her so badly."

It goes quiet.

Mistyblue and Tabbyheart look at each other with sad eyes, intertwining their tails as they cannot imagine losing each other. Then they turn to back to Tigertail.
"We're sorry for your loss." Mistyblue says and Tigertail bows her head slightly towards the sisters.

"Thank you. You see now why I want to help? There have always been cats who go against the Clan of Jewel and meet a deadly demise. And I want to help you four so it doesn't happen again," her eyes cloud over suddenly with rage and remorse as she seems to remember the past.

"If that ends in their deaths...then so be it."

***

Jin and Stowaway are surprisingly accommodating and allow Tigertail to stay as long as she needs. It had been a few weeks since Stormberry and the others had set off to go to Red Mist Island. They were fortunate enough to have spots along the way to other Twoleg places so the cats could stretch out their legs. For the warriors and the rogue that involved hunting but the medicine cats of the group took the time to stock up on herbs.

It seemed to be going well, although it was soon revealed that not all cats were happy.

As Stormberry and Tigertail shared a mouse, the medicine cat pondered a question she had been wondering for a while,
"Tigertail...why is the Clan of Jewel's territory called Red Mist Island?" Tigertail chews thoughtfully and swallows her portion.
"Well, it has red fog all around the area. And you clan cats don't know what an island is, right?" Stormberry shakes her head.
"Right. So, an island is a piece of land—er, territory that's surrounded by water." Tigertail stops, waiting for Stormberry to digest this new information.

"Does that make sense?"
"I suppose. It just doesn't make much sense why cats would want to live far away from a forest." Tigertail looks amused by Stormberry's answer.
"Yes, well, it just depends on the cat and the environment they—"
"Claw, I told you no!" Jin shouts from another room, causing Tigertail's head to perk up as Jin enters the hallway.
"I'm not asking for much, I just think—"
"No! You are not taking the kittens down to the island. And that is final." She interrupts, swishing her tail back and forth irritably.

"You're not the boss of me." He glares, his own tail mirroring hers.
"What's going on?" Stowaway asks, padding over to them. Stormberry glanced over at Mull and Sparkle, who to her relief played with each other seeming to have no care in the world and paying no attention to Claw, Jin or Stowaway.

Claw sighs and turns to Jin's mate.
"Stowaway, how do you feel about Sparkle and Mull going down with us to the island? They could use the experience." Stowaway looks between her two shipmates and then her ears flatten.
"I don't... I don't think that's best. They don't know fighting techniques and it's too dangerous for them." Claw frowns at that answer.