Chapter Nine

"Stormberry?" Stormberry's ears pricked at the sound of Sliverfrost's voice.
"I'm sorry to disturb you... I... I just didn't want to share this news in the middle of the ceremonies." Slivefrost explains hesitantly as the ceremonies for Tabbyheart, Songfeather, Icepaw, Oceanpaw, Sparrowpaw and Toadpaw only happened a sunrise ago.

Stormberry turns around to face the sliver, grey purple eyed she-cat fully.
"Alright... what is it?" Sliverfrost hesitates, shifting between her paws and ears twitching.
"Well... I'm expecting kits." Stormberry's blue eyes widened.
"Oh my! Congratulations!"
"Thank you. I thought you should be the first to know, you are our medicine cat after all." Sliverfrost says, glowing with pride.
After a minute, Stormberry gets closer to her and whispers,
"Does Ashtail know?"
"Not yet... I intend to tell him later today." Sliverfrost whispers back, her tone conveying excitement at telling her mate the good news.
As soon as she was in the medicine den, Sliverfrost was out just as quick. Like a leaf being pulled by wind during leaf-fall.

"What was Sliverfrost doing here?" Stormberry jumps at the sound of Mistypaw's voice. She had forgotten she had sent out her apprentice for herbs.
"Oh uh... she just came to tell me that she is expecting." Stormberry explains calmly.
"Oh." Mistypaw says, green eyes wide. It got quiet after that.

Quickly changing the subject, Stormberry asked,
"Did you get the herbs?"
"I couldn't find any," Mistypaw said sadly as she padded to Stormberry's side, "do you think it could be the season."
"It's possible. We are close to leaf-bare," Stormberry comments and pauses her sorting, "but not close enough..." That's when she trails off, lost in another world and deep in thought.
"Well... uh, anything else you want me to do?" Mistypaw asks.
"Um... Goldenheart is complaining about a pain in her side. Go check on that. Other than that, I have nothing else for you-go get yourself something from the fresh kill pile afterwards. A hunting patrol should be back soon. Also, please tell me if there are any injured cats- a border patrol left as well and I am worried about foxes around the area. Did you get all that?" Stormberry asks, turning slightly to her apprentice.
"Check Goldenheart's injury... get some food...make sure to tell you of any injured cats from the border patrol. Yeah, I think I have it all. Do you wants something from the fresh kill pile?"
"No need. I am almost finished with sorting these herbs, so I will get something when the patrol comes back."
"Ok." Mistypaw says, padding off.

***

Nothing interesting happened after Slivefrost's announcement. Until...

"STORMBERRY!" Stormberry turned and ran out of her den at hearing the urgency in Mistypaw's voice.
"What is it?" She asked, coming full stop in front of Mistypaw near the entrance.
"It's Alderflame! He was bitten by a fox, and they can't move him!" Mistypaw cried in a desperate tone. It made sense why she was upset-Alderflame had been close with her since she was a kit.
"Where is he now?" Cherrystar asked, coming out from her den.
"He's near the border with Thunderpelt, Tabbyheart, Songfeather, Redstorm and Icepaw!" Mistypaw replies.
"Right then... we need some cobwebs to stop the bleeding!" Stormberry explains as she raced into the forest, Mistypaw running towards the medicine den.

***

When Stormberry got there, Tabbyheart holding onto Alderflame neck, attempting to stop the bleeding.
"I... I don't know what to do!" Tabbyheart cries out, equally as saddened as her sister.
"It's going to be alright-Mistypaw is coming now." Stormberry announces firmly as she glances behind to Mistypaw with some cobwebs in her jaws. Dropping the cobwebs on the ground, Mistypaw stood near Songfeather, who rubbed her orange fur against Mistypaw's grey as a comfort.

Stormberry picked up the cobwebs and instructed Tabbyheart to step back, leaving the wound exposed. Stormberry quickly applied the cobwebs to Alderflame'a neck.
"Storm...Stormberry?" Alderflame called out weakly as she applied the last of the cobwebs. She wondered if he called out her name because he thought he was going to die.
"Shh... don't speak. Just lie still." She instructed in a soft tone. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Thunderpelt's eyes widen in surprise at her tone.