Chapter Twelve

"Cowards!" Tabbyheart shouts to the foxes that had attacked their group before running after Tabbyheart slashed the leader's nose. Alderflame snorted as he shook his pelt, making it spike all around.

Stormberry, Aldeflame, Mistyblue and Tabbyheart had been walking for at least a week just to find some land to sleep on. So far they had slept in the woods, but they were getting close to the end of the vast forest.
Soon they would be in Twoleg territory.

"Are you two alright?" Stormberry calls as she and Mistyblue come down the path to be with their other companions. Tabbyheart nods, filled with adrenaline. But Alderflame knew Stormberry better.
"We're fine, Stormberry." He says in a calm voice. She nods curtly back at him, secretly relieved.
"Good, that's good." Mistyblue pads in front, half of her body behind her sister as she squints towards the sun.
"How much farther?" She asks to no one in particular.
"I'd say we'd get there in a few hours." Tabbyheart replies making an educated guess. They solider on.

***

After a few hours, as the moon began to appear in the sky, they had reached Twoleg territory. Right on the edge of a Twoleg barrier did they collapse, to exhausted to sleep anywhere else, despite Stormberry's worries about the Twolegs.
"I will hunt for some mice." Tabbyheart declares as Alderflame began to pick a spot on the ground.
"Mistyblue... will you please go with her? This is strange land, we have never been outside camp. We have no idea what's out here." Without a second thought, Mistyblue nods and follows her sisters into the open field, the moon highlighting their pelts.

Alderflame and Stormberry huddled close together for warmth and for protection near a fence. They were silent, back to back as their tails curled together as a comfort.
"Do you think they'll be fine?" Alderflame whispered.
"Yes," Stormberry adjusted herself, "they will be fine by themselves." Right after, Mistyblue and Tabbyheart were seen, carrying two mice in each of their jaws. Mistyblue plopped two down on another side of the fence as Alderflame and Stormberry moved away from one another to eat, Tabbyheart dropped two mice in front of them. Then, they all sat down to eat.

***

After eating, almost everyone went to sleep. Stormberry did not, however, sleep right away. She was anxious: about the new land, the missing cat, how close in proximity she was with her former mate and her kits. Suddenly, as the crickets chirped, a tail brushed against her back making her freeze. She turned her head slightly and found it was Alderflame's. She didn't know what it was... but that comfort made her fall right to sleep.

Author's Notes

Just a short snippet of the group's journey before we get our new characters :)

Batwing🖤