Chapter Seven

Mistypaw, with the encouragement from Tabbypaw and Songpaw, finally gained the courage to ask Stormberry for help. Padding up to the medicine den, she found Stormberry hard at work, sorting her herbs diligently. The leaves surrounding the doorway shook slightly as Mistypaw's tail brushed past. That got Stormberry's attention as she turned to the young apprentice.
"What is it, Mistypaw? A broken paw, a tail? Is Goldenheart alright?" Stormberry questions in her usual monotone voice.
"Um... no. I just... wanted to ask you something." Mistypaw says sheepishly as she curls her grey tail around her paws. Blinking, Stormberry smiles at the she-cat, hoping she isn't too frightened.
"I'm sure my herbs can wait. What is it?" Mistypaw pauses and takes a deep breath, coming further into the medicine den. It wasn't that big, pretty small considering not many cats in Burrowclan got sick easily.
"How did you know you wanted to be a medicine cat?" Stormberry steps back on her hind legs, surprise by the question before going back to her sitting position.
"Well, I uh," Stormberry pauses as she goes back to her herbs to find the right words, "when I was a kit, I would watch the old medicine cat Ravenwing sort his herbs. It fascinated me the way he worked. I wanted to know everything about herbs and his duties. It was surprised to know one when he chose me to be his apprentice." She says with a warm smile as she remembered her mentor fondly. Suddenly her expression darkens, "then... the day I was to receive my name, he died. They say it was old age, though I can't be sure. He... he was asleep. And when I went to wake him... he wouldn't wake up," she sighs, closing her eyes, "I had to my own name. I chose Stormberry as I had found some berries outside the den. And luckily... Starclan accepted me. To this day I'm not sure if those berries were a sign." Stormberry finishes, trailing off, seeming to be lost in a memory. Mistypaw was amazed. Stormberry was known to be grouchy and impatient but here... she clearly loved what she was doing and had a passion for healing cats. Even after such a hardship.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to push this all on you!" Stormberry apologizes, finishing up the herbs.
"It's alright. I just came to ask because... I think it might be my calling." Mistypaw explains as her tail swishes back and forth. Stormberry looks at the young paw with a pitiful expression.
"Mistypaw... why do you think this way? Becoming a medicine cat is a big commitment. You have to learn herbs, different treatments, take care of every cat in the clan." Stormberry explains and Mistypaw's ears flatten.
"It's just... I'm not that good at training. I can't do anything right! I don't know what to do anymore." She mutters the last part as she lies on the ground and wraps her tail around her body. Stormberry is quiet for a moment before giving the young she-cat a smile.
"Tell you what, let me talk to Cherrystar and Alderflame. I'll see if I can take you one day with me to look for herbs. A test for your abilities if you will. Afterwards, you can decide if you truly want to switch to being my apprentice." Mistypaw's green eyes lit up as she quickly jumped to her paws.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Mistypaw said, before rushing out the medicine den. Stormberry snorted lightly and shook her head.

Perhaps one of her children would follow in her footsteps after all...

***

"You said you wanted to speak with us?" Cherrystar asked Stormberry as she and Alderflame entered her den. They both dipped their heads to their leader respectfully.
"Yes, Cherrystar. It's about Alderflame's apprentice, Mistypaw. She came to my den earlier, she's wondering if being my apprentice is her calling." Cherrystar's eyes widened at Stormberry and blinked.
"I see. What are you suggesting?"
"I'm suggesting that I take her one day when I need herbs, likely in a few days, just to test her and see if this is something she actually wants or is just saying this because of her struggles with training. You can never be too cautious." Stormberry explains and her leader purrs, red eyes warm with affection.
"No, of course not. You can never be too careful. I will allow this assessment to take place. Alderflame?" Cherrystar turned to her the orange tabby. He nodded silently. Cherrystar smiled satisfied, her muzzle twitching slightly. The medicine cat and the warrior left the den.
"Did she really come to you?" Alderflame whispered from behind the grey striped she-cat.
"Yes. She did. Is that an issue?" Stormberry asked, getting a little defensive. She took Alderflame's question as an insult to her craft. He was, of course, use to this coldness. He didn't flinch and his eyes seemed to glimmer with affection.
"Of course not. I was just wondering. I'm sure that will be fine." There was a pause.
"Do you think Thunderpelt is the right fit for Tabbypaw?" Stormberry asked turning her head to face Alderflame, worried for their other daughter. Alderflame nodded immediately.
"Yes. The idea of being a warrior is engrained into her-and she hasn't complained once about his harshness. I think she's growing on him." Stormberry snorted.
"Who knew that tom could have affection for anyone." A purr rumbled in Alderflame's throat.
"I don't know... I wouldn't tell Cherrystar or Songpaw you said that." Alderflame jokes before they go their separate ways.