The Collapse

The ring, the collapse, the storm. All names for the same phenomenon. Before, it consumed us without much of a scratch. We powered through it as if it were a strain on a muscle or a minor headache. Now, a new and vividly detailed lesson shall be taught about this... surreal enemy. The most anyone really knows at all, is that the collapse always follows. What they don't know, is the science behind it.

One by one, we entered the game. K had invited us to a lobby where he could manipulate the game to his every desire. I joined first, then Asuna and Lizbeth. We began at the familiar Firing Range in the centre of the game map.

"Where are we?" Lizbeth began to analyze the new world around her.

"Welcome Ranger. This is Vestige." K stood tall in front of us and held his arms up to gesture to the whole land.

"This gun game is unlike any that you have ever played. It is a one of a kind Battle Royale experience." K told of the game as it was.

"Battle Royale?" Liz asked.

K opened his mouth to explain but I decided to beat him to the punch.

"It's a Free For All based game mode where you and your squad fight to be the last team standing. I played one with Kirito back in Bullet of Bullets." I looked at K, knowing I would surprise him with my knowledge.

"That is also where you learned of DeathGun. Someone you still haven't told me anything about." K seemed to be rather ticked off at me.

Then I realized he was right. I hadn't told K about my past with DeathGun at all. He only found out about him from his friend back in GGO. It's been awhile since then.

"K, I-"

"Lizbeth. This game holds limitless potential and endless possibilities. That is why we must teach you the ins and outs." K cut me off and explained to her.

"Define endless." Liz tilted her head.

"We would be here all day." K waved away.

"I guess I won't know until I play then." Lizbeth shrugged.

"I was hoping you'd say that." K began the game and our vision became black.

Here we go again.

Our hearts began to race as we were thrusted into the intensity of free fall. Some of us were used to this by now, but others were just learning.

"OH MY GOD!!!" Lizbeth barely had enough breath to speak let alone shout at the top of her lungs like she tried to.

Asuna and I were steering ourselves properly down to the ground below, but Liz was panicking. I landed safely and Asuna landed right behind me but Lizbeth smashed face first into the ground next to us. She panted hard but the sound of grinding metal could be heard as K sat on a crate sharpening his combat knife. Liz shook her head, surprised that she was even still alive and looked up to K confused.

"Welcome to Vestige." K looked at her on the ground in front of him.

Lizbeth was speechless. She had been frightened by the sudden drop and plummet to the Earth that the game forced upon everyone. K tapped his earpiece and continued to sharpen his blade as he spoke.

"What's your status, Kirito?" He asked.

Kirito? But he was still in Alfheim, how could we talk to him from here?

"Good to go, K. Athena is ready for the data transfer." Kirito's voice played aloud from K's earpiece.

"Excellent. Patch her through." K ordered as he sharpened his blade some more.