Chapter Seventeen-Becca

Hello, Lovelies, 

I hope you are having a great day.  Thank you for reading Dirty Little Tease.  I hope everyone is enjoying this story.  

News: Sparked is still going through self-editing.  So, if you've read it lately, you will notice some changes.  After self-editing, Sparked will go through professional editing with the wonderful, Kim Young.  After that, Burned will be getting the same treatment followed by the other books on here.  So, I hope you'll check them out when they are done.

I hope you like this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting.  Comments are appreciated and if you have any questions, comment or send me a message.

-XXXX Amanda 

**********

I kissed Lance that morning, hoping to dispel some of the worry that plagued us both. I stared into his eyes as he lowered his forehead to mine.

"You'll call me if anything-"

"You know I will," I said, glancing around the house, "But I'm staying here with Lena and we won't go anywhere. I promise."

"I'm just worried," he whispered, his voice shaky, "After...What happened before."

The darkness veiling his eyes, told me that he was seeing it all over again. The affect of what Lincoln had done had scarred him as much as it had me. I brushed my lips against his as he pulled me against him.

"Lance, we can't stop our life," I whispered, swallowing, "If we do, Linc has done exactly what he set out to do. He continues to rule our lives with fear and I want to live my best life with you."

He nodded, kissing my forehead before taking a deep breath, his eyes closed. Finally, he nodded, "It will take some time to get over this fear," he said, shaking his head, "When he was pointing that gun at you with his hand on the trigger, my worst fear was recognized and I was faced with your death. That's hell to me."

"I understand," I whispered, "It would be hell to lose you too."

He stiffened as a knock sounded at the door, "Lena's here," he said and for once he didn't seem happy to see her.

He held my hand, walking toward the door and opening it. Lena's bright smile cast away the gloom around us as she stepped inside carrying a box, filled with snacks.

"Are those all for you?" Lance asked, raising his brow.

"No," she said, rolling her eyes, "Becca and I are watching movies since every time I try to watch one, Asher and I end up doing...Something else."

I grinned, "Sounds familiar."

Lance narrowed his eyes, "What do you expect when all you watch are rom-coms?" He asked, sighing, "We start wanting the good stuff earlier. Besides, I have never heard you complain."

"There are no complaints," I said and then, whispered in his ear, "We'll watch one when you get home."

He smirked and wiggled his brows, "I look forward to it," he said and kissed me before turning to Lena, "You promise you're staying here and you'll call if there is even a small worry?"

Lena rolled her eyes, "We're watching movies here," she said, smiling, "We'll mostly be on the couch. Besides, Asher is worried about me doing anything strenuous because he's been freaking himself out with videos and books about pregnancy."

Lance chuckled but Lena shook her head, "It's not funny," she said, sighing, "I had to hide his laptop and hid the books. Honestly, you both need to chill. Now, go to work. Your girlfriend is mine until you get home."

"She's always mine," he said and kissed me, giving me one last look before forcing himself toward the door.

As soon as the door closed, Lena shook her head, "I wonder which one will call first, him or Asher," she said, moving into the living room and setting the box on the coffee table.

I smiled as I moved toward Lena and sank on the couch, "I give it ten minutes."

I chuckled but in all honesty, I was counting down the minutes until I heard Lance's voice again and I knew Lena was doing the same until she heard Asher's voice again.

***********

Lance called when he arrived at work, followed by a call from Asher. When the calls ended, Lena and I turned on The Other Woman and settled in. Near the end of the movie, Gideon showed up to check on us. I frowned as we entered the living room and the house phone rang. I frowned. No one ever called that phone as I glanced at it picking it up.

"Hello, this is Doctor Ambrose from Wilmington Hospital," he said, his voice grim, "He's listed as an emergency contact for Anne Christos."

I blinked, realizing he must be speaking of his mother, "I'm his girlfriend and he's not here," I said, my heart thumping in my chest, "Can I take a message?"

The doctor paused, "We need to speak with him," he said that same grim tone in his voice, "If you could have him call me. I would appreciate it."

I swallowed, "Is she okay?"

He was quiet for a few moments before answering, "I'm sorry I can only discuss with one of her sons."

"Wait!" I said, glancing at Gideon, "One of her sons is here...Gideon."

He frowned as he moved close to me, "It's a doctor...I think it's about your mom."

His face paled as he nodded, picking up the phone, "This is Gideon," he said, his voice almost a whisper. Minutes passed as his hand gripped the receiver so hard, his knuckles were white. He gritted his teeth as he nodded, his eyes shining with tears.

"Thank you, Sir," he said, his voice soft as he hung up the phone and faced me, a tear escaping his eye and sliding down his cheek, "You need to get dressed. We need to go to the office. Lance is going to need you."

My heart froze in my chest, "Why?"

He swallowed as tears fell down his cheeks, "Our mother is in intensive care. I don't know much but I know it's bad and I know our father is the reason she's there."

"Gideon, what else did the doctor say?" I asked, sensing there was something else.

He took a halting breath, "H-He said she asked for us."

A sob broke from his throat and I embraced him as he cried. Lena moved toward us. Her eyes filling with tears.

"I'm so sorry, Gid," she whispered, softly.

He shook his head, "Thank you, Lena," he said, taking a deep breath, "We need to tell Lance. Let me know when you're ready."

I moved toward the couch and put on my shoes I had kicked off during the movie before turning toward him, finding him with his hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans with his shoulders and head bowed forward, "I'm ready."

"So am I," Lena said, her eyes dark with worry, "Asher can take me home from the office."

I grabbed my keys to lock the door and got into Gideon's car to go tell Lance that his estranged mother was in the hospital fighting for her life and had been put there by the father, he and his brother had tried to save her from as children.