~ Thirty-Four ~

Returning to Sanditon

Relief, Charlotte thought. She was physically aware of the tension leaving her body. After Eliza had left them that day in defeat, the sense of relief had been tremendous. There were no further obstacles to blight their future happiness, and Sidney was, once more, able to be his best and truest self.

Lady Susan had been a stalwart ally and was as good as her word. Any whiff of scandal surrounding their marriage had been replaced by a thrilling tale of love conquers all. Eliza's name was no longer spoken amongst society. She had closed up her townhouse and retreated to lick her wounds. It was rumoured that the death of Mr Campion had affected her greatly and thus sent her into madness.

As the carriage approached Sanditon, she turned to her husband and asked, "May we stop a moment?" Sidney rapped on the roof, and the carriage slowed.

They descended the carriage and stepped out into the early autumnal sunshine. A sea breeze whipped around her legs, but she paid it no mind. They walked closer to the cliff edge and stood arm and arm regarding the ocean and the town below.

"This is the place of our first encounter, is it not?" asked Sidney softly.

"Yes, you thought I was a maid!" Charlotte laughed.

"You thought I was an arrogant boar!" Sidney countered, smiling.

"We shared our first kiss just over there."

"And this is the spot where I thought I had lost you, and any chance of happiness, forever." Sidney turned her into his arms.

"I don't know what I have done to deserve a love like yours, Charlotte, but know that I will never, ever let you go again." Sidney kissed her gently, "Come, let's go home."

~o0o~