~ Twenty-Nine ~

Denham Place, Sanditon

Charlotte had had quite enough. Edward had the audacity to lock her in a bedchamber, claiming that, should she be tempted to try and make a break for freedom, she would think twice when faced with a three-story drop. She peered out of the window and had to concur. The maid that had delivered her tea and a small repast had refused to be drawn into conversation other than to confirm that her master had retired with a bottle of spirits to his chamber to rest.

She surmised from the décor that she had been placed in the Baronesses chamber, further supported by the connecting door, that joined this one to the master's chamber. Suddenly wary of what that may suggest, she wedged a chair under the locked door handle. Sir Edward was a drunk and of low morals. She would take no chances.

After some time had passed, she thought, what a strange irony that she was in back in her beloved Sanditon, without being able to leave her room. She could almost smell the sea air.

It was just past noon when she heard it. Carriage wheels rumbling up the drive. She darted back to the window to see the most welcome sight in all her life. She could not yet make out the crest, but intuition told her that Sidney had come. The occupants disembarked, but her view was obstructed by the portico below.

After a few moments, a woman's voice could be heard. Sharp and clear and familiar. Esther! She heard footsteps and a hammering upon, what she assumed to be, Edwards door.

"Edward!" shouted Esther, "What have you done with her? Open this door at once!"

Charlotte decided that now was the time to let her presence be known.

"Esther! Esther! I'm in here. Please let me out!"

Sidney and Crowe were systematically checking all of the receiving rooms while Babington and Esther went above to rouse Edward. They had just finished searching the dining room when they heard it.

"Esther! Esther! ..." Charlotte!

Sidney didn't wait to hear more. He ran to the spiral staircase and raced as fast as his legs could carry him. He was breathless and panting as he reached the family wing just as Esther unlocked the bedchamber door. Without a thought for anything else, he rushed past Esther and Babington and through the chamber door, sweeping Charlotte into an embrace.

He buried his face in her hair and breathed for the first time in what felt like days.

"Thank god." He said as relief flooded him.

Esther coughed discreetly and, finally reminded of the fact they were not alone, Sidney forced himself to release her from his hold but refused to surrender her hand.

"I am so very glad to see you," Charlotte beamed, "I knew you would come."

Esther smiled in return; relief evident on her face, "If my brother had hurt you in any way, I would never have forgiven myself."

Babington and Crowe saw to it that the foxed and repentant Sir Edward was locked safely in the cellar. Sidney did not trust himself to be within a hundred feet of the scoundrel without beating him senseless. Esther and Sidney escorted Charlotte down to the drawing room where tea and refreshments were ordered. The staff were pleased to be once more serving their former mistress but were utterly bemused by the behaviour and conduct of their master. As Tom was likely to be in London by now, a message had been sent to Lady Denham at Sanditon House requesting her hospitality whilst the Edward situation was dealt with. Denham Place was in a dire state of repair and could not comfortably accommodate them all.

As they sat and discussed the events of the past twenty-four hours, Charlotte relayed details of her capture and journey. They were shocked by the lengths Eliza was willing to go to, to remove Charlotte from Sidney's life. He was overcome with disgust and guilt over her treatment. Charlotte sensed his retreat into self-recriminations and refused to allow it. As soon as an opportunity presented itself, Charlotte suggested they take some air.

Strolling through the gardens of Denham Place, hand in hand, Charlotte could still feel tension thrumming through his every muscle. She stopped abruptly and turned to face him, but his gaze was fixed on a spot just over her shoulder.

"Sidney. Look at me," she commanded. His eyes met hers, and she could see how conflicted he really was.

"It's over. I am well," Charlotte spoke softly and cupped his cheek with her free hand. Sidney pressed his cheek into her palm and briefly closed his eyes.

After a moment, he spoke, "When I think what you have endured, I would rather die than inflict upon you more pain," His sorrowful voice declared, "You are my world Charlotte Heywood. I cannot spend even one minute away from you before I need to return to your side. I feel compelled to touch you just to reassure myself you are not a dream my desperate mind has conjured."

Sidney wiped away the single tear that had fallen on her cheek, "I never wish to make you weep. For you have saved me from an eternal misery."

He took a shuddering breath, "Though the words have not been spoken that release me, please be assured that it will be so. You must know my heart."

She nodded, smiling.

"I love you, and I would be honoured if you would agree to be my wife. My dearest Charlotte. My Charlotte, will you have me?"

She felt her heart would burst. Smiling through her tears of joy, she reached up to kiss her confounding, complicated, captivating love.

Sidney gathered her in his arms and kissed her like a starving man. Abruptly, he broke away from their kiss and regarded her, "You haven't given me your answer," he stated, a smile in his voice.

Charlotte laughed and replied, "Yes, Sidney Parker, I would be honoured to become your wife."

In response to which, Miss Heywood was soundly kissed for the second time that day.