~ Seven ~

Beechwood Court, Surrey

The early morning mist was starting to clear, and Sidney wished the same could be said of his head. The evening before had been a revelation. Being so dependent on his own counsel; Sidney had been slow to realise that others cared for his wellbeing and wished to help. Babington and Crowe had not judged. They had listened and commiserated with utmost sincerity. Unlike his older brother Tom, Sidney thought, bitterly. However, in the end, one bottle of brandy had become two, and as sobriety and sensibility had been lost long before the last bottle was opened, it was hardly surprising that their morning ride should be a sedate affair.

"I think I shall never touch another drop!" bemoaned Babington, as their mounts meandered along the woodland track, "My wild days are well and truly consigned to history. From this day forth, I shall become the epitome of staid and sensible, as befitting a married man."

Crowe snorted, amused, "My dear fellow, a leopard cannot change his spots. Your raking days may be over, but you will never be staid. I forbid it! In fact, I'll wager you a bottle of that delectable brandy on the matter, what say you, Parker? Care to raise me a bottle?"

Sidney chuckled, "Crowe, behave. Even the mention of the stuff turns my stomach. Let us have a day of rest, I beg you."

Babington and Crowe laughed as they ambled on.

After a mile or so, Sidney sensed that he was being observed. He looked over to see Babington had his assessing gaze trained upon him. He groaned; he knew precisely the question that was coming.

"So, what will you do Sidney?" He asked tentatively, "Are you certain that you can go through with marriage when you're so clearly in love with another?"

Sidney sighed, what could he say? He would give his last breath to take Charlotte in his arms once more. To tell her that he loved her more than life itself. To swear his life and fidelity to only her from this day forth.

Instead, he said solemnly, "What choice do I have? To reject Eliza now would ensure that Tom is pauperised and Sanditon will fail. To withdraw my offer would cause a scandal and Eliza may sue for breach of contract, never mind her loss of reputation." Sidney added, "How would Charlotte view me then? A man without honour. A man selfish enough to put his own happiness above that of his family. No, to see that look of disappointment again would likely kill me."

Babington lapsed into thought, but was interrupted by Crowe, who stated simply, "Then we get Mrs Campion to cry off; Simple." Crowe shortened his reins and kicked on his mount, leaving Sidney and Babington momentarily lost for words.

"He has a point, you know," Babington said warily. "You, yourself said that her behaviour is irrational. Why would she want what is lost to her? Do you believe she loves you enough to take you at any cost?"

Sidney regarded him silently for a moment before shaking his head, "No. What she feels for me is not love. She sees what she wants and has to have it like a child in a sweet shop. It is control she desires."

"Then that begs the question, what is it she wants more? What would she require to cry off?" Babington looked enquiringly at Sidney as if prompting a thought, "What 'toy' has she yet to acquire?"

Sidney brought his horse to a halt. Considering Babington's words, slowly, he said, "A title."

He looked at his friend and who nodded his understanding. "She passed me over once for a purse of gold, she would do so again to become a member of the nobility. Her ambition knows no bounds."

Babington smiled, "Then there is hope yet, my friend."

Crowe, who had pulled up and awaited his companions, viewed them curiously as they rounded the bend and came into view.

"What in Hades are you two smiling about?"

"Ah, Crowe. We are in need of your assistance" Babington smirked.

"I'm afraid to ask where this is going," sighed Crowe, narrowing his gaze with suspicion.

"Nothing you can't handle, I'm sure," Babington's smirk became a grin, "We need you to help us find a Lord for Mrs Campion." He added, "Just please ensure it's no one we actually like, mind."