~ One ~

Heywood Residence,Willingden

"Oh, my poor Charlotte! What you must have endured, I cannot imagine," cried Alison, distraught at the sight of her strong and fearless older sister broken and heartsick. "So, what do you intend to do about it?" 

"Do about it? I don't understand your meaning." Charlotte replied sadly.  

Alison gaped open-mouthed at her sister.

"Do I need to box your ears? 'Do about it', indeed.  I shall spell it out for you then. The sister I know would never allow such an injustice to occur. Never. You cannot tell me that after all you and Mr Parker have gone through, you will allow that ... that viper to blackmail him into marriage?"

Alison stood and began pacing the small bedroom, clearly warming to her subject, "You are the strongest person I know Charlotte, though admittedly, I know not many folks outside of Willingden."

Charlotte rolled her eyes.

Undeterred, Alison continued, "Do. You. Love. Him?" she demanded, punctuating every word with a measured step towards Charlotte. 

"Of course, I do. You are not helping, Alison. There is nothing to be done." Charlotte rose from where she was perched on the side of her bed, sidestepping her sister, to face the window. 

"If you love him, and he loves you, then there must be something that can remedy this situation, surely," Alison moved towards the tea tray, previously forgotten on the small side table. She glanced at the delicate pattern adorning the small china cups, a pretty vine circled the rim, both intricate and strong, like Charlotte. 

"I refuse to believe that a girl can go through her life, dreaming of finding that perfect love only to be thwarted by duty and circumstance."  

"Oh, Alison, I never dreamt of a perfect love. That was your daydream, not mine. Indeed, I had no wish to fall in love or marry before I had had a chance to live a little," Charlotte smiled wearily at her younger sister, "But, fall in love, I did. Painfully so, but I shall not regret what happened. How can I judge a man for choosing to save his family? No, Sanditon shall be restored and so, dear Alison, my heartache will not have been for nothing." 

As Alison regarded Charlotte, it was quite obvious to her that this had been a great love. A love that shouldn't be thrown away on mere bricks and sandcastles. 

"No, there must be an avenue left unexplored. You said Mr Parker tried to gain backing for Sanditon in London and that's where this Mrs Campion made her offer," Alison's pinched expression told Charlotte exactly what she thought of said offer. "But what of the other influential people you met in Sanditon? Lady Babington ... or Lady Susan, for example? Your letters spoke of her most warmly."  

Charlotte agreed, "Susan, Lady Susan that is, was most amiable towards me, particularly at the Regatta. I don't believe she was very favourably inclined towards Mrs Campion at all. Susan was assured of my affection for Sid ... Mr Parker, even before I knew it myself." Charlotte smiled sadly at her sister, "Indeed, she seemed quite invested in a happy outcome." 

"So?" Alison prompted. 

"So, what?" Charlotte replied. 

"Well, it's obvious. You must write to your Lady Susan and ask her for help. The wedding is only a few weeks away. Are you going to let your Mr Parker fall upon his sword and marry where there is no genuine affection, or shall you find a way to ease his pain and your own?" she pleaded, "Charlotte you must!" 

"But ..." Charlotte began.  

"No 'buts' Charlotte," Alison interrupted. "Can you swear to me that EVERYTHING has been considered – no stone left unturned? Your Mr Parker is an honourable man and has found a solution that sacrifices both his happiness and your own, but maybe, maybe there is an avenue that he hasn't considered? Maybe, it's up to you to prove that love will find a way."

Charlotte sat for a long moment and considered her sister's words. Had enough been done to save Sanditon? Perhaps not. Sidney had trawled the banks and merchant investors before approaching Eliza Campion. With Lady Denham's threat hanging over Tom's head, Sidney had been desperate. Eliza knew this and agreed to cover the astronomical debt in return for marriage. It was a forgone conclusion, surely, that he would hold up his end of their bargain. He could hardly condemn Tom and Mary to penury – they were his family. Charlotte understood, and though it pained her immeasurably, she would be strong and endure their separation. But what if ... what if she could help Sidney – and Tom? She didn't know how much influence she could garner – maybe with Susan's help – or if she could do anything at all, but surely, if she didn't try, she would always wonder.  

"Alison, bring me paper and ink," Charlotte turned to her sister, "I have nothing to lose, you're right.  Susan will know what to do - I just know it!" 

"Hooray! There she is. There's my sister!" cried Alison triumphantly as she raced from the room.