~ Eighteen ~

Somerset House, Grosvenor Square, London

Charlotte entered the breakfast room to find it already occupied. Both Lady Susan and Alison were already seated and smiled in welcome.

"Here, she is!" Alison giggled, "My sister the slugabed. I have never known you sleep so late."

Charlotte laughed, "Good morning. I am not accustomed to these ton hours, is all."

"Good morning, or afternoon as it very nearly is," Susan grinned. "One learns to adjust after a while. Did you have pleasant dreams, Charlotte, dear?" she teased.

Charlotte's thoughts wandered to her restless night, plagued with dreams of Sidney, and blushed.

Susan laughed, "Say no more. Come. Sit and break your fast."

"So, Charlotte, my dear, how was your campaign to stir up interest in Sanditon?" Susan asked, changing the subject.

Relieved, Charlotte began to explain that disappointingly, her plans had fallen on deaf ears.

"That is often the way in society, regrettably. Men do not enjoy being spoken to on such things and hold no real opinions or influence anyway, despite their titles and seats in the Lords. The matrons and society hostesses are the real decision-makers," Susan remarked sagely.

"That's it! No wonder London closed its doors to the potential of a Sanditon investment. We have neglected to win the support of its matrons!" Charlotte exclaimed hopefully.

Susan considered for a moment, "Why Charlotte, how astute you are to have made the connection. We shall put our heads together, and between us, we shall form a plan to charm the beau monde!"

After some debate, it was decided that the best way to gain support from the influential matrons was to engage in the rounds of at-homes and luncheons, to extol the virtues of a restorative health resort, fine views and sea bathing. Lady Susan had sufficient influence that entrée to these events was a foregone conclusion. However, she admitted it would cause quite a stir as she had forsaken these types of entertainments years ago. The introduction of the sisters to the season allowed the perfect excuse for re-entering the fray.

Charlotte was so caught up in their battle plan that, for a short time at least, she was able to put thoughts of Sidney behind her.