~ Three ~

A few days later ...

During the days that followed Charlotte's letter, misery was not such a constant companion. What had once felt like a desperate and futile circumstance, now felt much like the first blossoms of hope. With a fortitude, recently misplaced, she considered how life had altered in such a brief time. What an adventure she had enjoyed; what people she had never thought to know. Yes, there was heartbreak and sorrow enough for any girl, but those times had been eclipsed by the moments of joy; Tom and Mary and their beautiful family, the excitement in seeing Sanditon become a reality, meeting Georgiana and finding in her a true friend, her trip to London – albeit in shocking circumstances, dancing with Sidney, his kiss ... Charlotte's heart twisted painfully at the thought. So many treasured memories buried beneath the pain of the past six weeks.

Charlotte meandered through the gardens of her family home, noting the first signs that summer was readying to depart. Autumn would soon be here with its palette of reds and burnished orange, providing a final feast of colours before the bleakness of winters slumber.

She spotted her sister Alison quietly reading, perched upon an old wooden bench beneath the parlour window, and realised that it wasn't only the seasons that change. She, herself, was altered immeasurably, and it seemed, in her absence, so had Alison. A kind but painfully naïve and overtly shy girl, Alison had blossomed without her older sister to take charge. Charlotte was glad, and at almost nineteen, Alison was becoming a beautiful and charming young lady. Not to mention opinionated, Charlotte thought with a smile.

Alison looked up from her book, noticing Charlotte and waved, just as a noise from the lane diverted both of their attention to a shining, black lacquered carriage pulled by four magnificent matched bays rumbling towards them. The sight was so unusual for Willingden that the sisters shared a curious look, then rushed inside the farmhouse to prepare for their unexpected visitors. For why else would someone travel this way? There was no other property for more than a mile.

They were greeted by their mother, who was equally bemused and not a little flustered at the sight of the imminent arrivals. As the carriage stopped at the entrance to their property, they looked curiously on as an impeccably dressed, liveried footman bent down to place the step and open the carriage door. A feminine hand gloved and elegant extended to accept the footman's aid.

The vision that met Charlotte as she moved through the door to welcome their visitor was none other than Lady Susan Worcester.

"Susan!" she cried. Shock tinged with an absolute joy surged through Charlotte at the sight.

Lady Susan Worcester was dressed finely from head to toe in a peacock blue travelling dress and matching full-length pelisse and jaunty bonnet. Her eyes sparkled with delight upon spotting Charlotte, and her mouth broke into a radiant smile.

"Charlotte, my darling girl! I came just as soon as I received your letter. Come, there is much to be done, and you must ready yourself!" Lady Susan stopped to embrace Charlotte and to cordially greet her mother and sister who stood like sentries either side of Charlotte, immobilised by surprise.

Mrs Heywood, shaken from her astonishment, belatedly remembered her good breeding and ushered Lady Susan and Charlotte into the receiving room; smaller and more formally appointed than their usual family quarters, the air of anticipation and surprise seemed to weave itself into every square inch of the modest space.

"Susan, I am so delighted to see you, but I'm utterly amazed that you would take the trouble to visit in person." Charlotte motioned to the damask covered sofa, "Please won't you sit. I shall ring for tea, and you shall tell me what has brought you all the way to Willingden."

Lady Susan chuckled as she sat, "Charlotte, dearest. After receiving your letter, how could I not?" Susan smiled kindly "I was most distressed to hear of the events in Sanditon. I had begun to hear whispers of the Campion woman's intention to remarry, and now the dratted woman is parading around London organising her wedding as if she was marrying the Prince Regent himself! Well, it won't do. I had only recently learned that the prospective groom is none other than your Mr Sidney Parker and, well, I will admit to being thoroughly disappointed in that man's character. To display such obvious affection for one woman whilst courting the other's fortune, is despicable behaviour indeed."

"But that's not..." Charlotte cried in alarm.

Susan continued, "No, no, dear Charlotte, come down from the boughs. The whole situation made very little sense to me. I am never wrong about matters of the heart, so when I received your letter, and you explained in your own words what had transpired, I knew there was something decidedly unsavoury about the whole thing."

Charlotte sighed, "The situation was delicate, and Mr Parker was forced to make an impossible choice, indeed. I cannot truly blame him for agreeing to this path, though, I do wonder, in his despair, did he really investigate all options?" Brow furrowed, she went on, "There is probably little to be done. Mr Parker cannot honourably end an engagement, but if it was agreed to under the pressure or coercion, then surely he deserves to be free to choose?" Lifting her gaze to Susan's, she was relieved to see compassion, but also determination, evident in the intelligent eyes of her friend.

"My dear girl, I have not come all of this way to ease the conscience of Mr Sidney Parker. He has yet to earn my favour. No, I am here to right a callous wrong made against you. Love is a precious and rare gift, Charlotte. An infliction it may be, but one cannot deny once affected, you carry it with you for life." Susan reached for Charlotte's hands in a show of solidarity, "No, we must decide upon a plan! We shall find the money to save Sanditon and find a way to release Mr Parker from Mrs Campion's pernicious grasp!"

It transpired that Lady Susan's idea of a plan included an invitation for Charlotte to join her in London for the little season. Under Lady Susan's sponsorship, Charlotte was to navigate society and, aided by Susan, promote and invigorate interest in Sanditon as a potential rival for such resorts as Brighton and Worthing. The rebuilding works needed were substantial, but a pool of investors would make the scheme achievable and realistic.

Mr and Mrs Heywood were hesitant to allow another sojourn so soon. Still, their resolve was worn away by the indomitable Lady Susan and her obvious position of influence and affection towards their eldest daughter. They too had noticed Charlotte's low mood and despondency and worried that her spirit had been broken by her experiences in Sanditon. Alas, they were finally persuaded by the hope and light that had returned to Charlotte's eyes. That, and Lady Susan's offer to take Alison along as well. Mr Heywood being a family man of modest fortune and uncanny sense, knew that an opportunity to launch two daughters upon polite society without the expense of a season was not an offer he could refuse. And so, with much haste and excitement, the party readied themselves for their next adventure.