~ Two ~

Dearest Susan,

I hope this missive finds you well. It has felt like an age since we saw one another at the Sanditon Regatta – so much has occurred. I'm not entirely sure where to start! At the beginning, I suppose.

I must first of all say, you were right. I can admit now that I am irrevocably and deeply in love with Mr Sidney Parker. There, once again, you were proved right, but oh, Susan, it was not meant to be. Despite knowing with my whole heart that Mr Parker shared my affections, he has been forced, by a series of disastrous events, to betroth himself to Mrs Eliza Campion, no less.

But I must go back further for you to understand. On the night of the Midsummer Ball, a ferocious fire spread through the newly completed development in Sanditon. A man died in the fire, poor Mr James Stringer's father no less, and we were all deeply affected by the tragedy. But Susan, the unknown consequence of the event didn't become clear until the following day – the imminent ruin of Mr Tom Parker. The works undertaken were not insured against loss or fire and Lady Denham, you remember she was gravely ill (now recovered) threatened to see him in debtors' prison for his mismanagement of her investment! It was truly shocking.

In an attempt to rescue his family from ruin, Mr Sidney Parker raced to London to secure investment. It breaks my heart to remember our parting that day, and I am not exaggerating when I say that he had made his intentions known to me and I was anticipating a proposal of marriage upon his return. Alas, during Mr Sidney Parkers time in London, Mrs Campion offered him the funds so desperately needed to repair the Parkers' fortunes. In exchange, Sidney was obliged to agree to their marriage.

So, here we are. Sanditon saved but at what cost? My love has surrendered our future and happiness in an attempt to save his family. I cannot be angry; it was a selfless act. I worry for his heart and soul as I know Mrs Campion will expect both from their bargain.

I now reach out to you, Susan, in the hope that you may have some advice for a friend. For a time, I thought to resign myself to these events and that any wish for myself would be selfish. I have now concluded that love is worth fighting for and if that means that I must find a solution for Sanditon myself in order to free Sidney from these bonds, then I must at least try.

Ever Your friend,

Charlotte Heywood

Willingden