~ Twenty-Three ~

A short time later, they made their way from their secluded spot to join the main walkway. They moved towards the rotunda where he had left his family. Sidney felt like a man on the brink of freedom. As they rounded the last bend, they heard someone squeal! Georgiana hurried towards them and caught Charlotte up in such a fierce hug she was momentarily starved of breath.

"Decorum Georgiana!" Sidney scolded, although he was smiling, "Let Charlotte catch her breath."

"Oh hush, Sidney," responded Georgiana laughing, "I have missed my dear friend so!"

Charlotte smiled warmly and linked her arm with Georgiana's, "I have missed you too."

As they joined their party, Mary too embraced her.

"Charlotte how glad I am to see you. You look a little flushed. Are you well?" she regarded Charlotte for a moment before her narrowed eyes darted to Sidney's suspiciously.

Charlotte smiled, "Oh yes, I'm very well indeed, Mary. And Tom is he here too?"

Mary stiffened fractionally and replied, "Err, no dear. Tom has more pressing tasks to oversee in Sanditon. I came up with Arthur, Diana and the children. We stay for the next few weeks."

"The children. Oh, Mary! Please say I may visit with them. I've missed them terribly," Charlotte exclaimed, "Though I'm sorry to hear Tom could not spare the time to visit," She added. "Is all well in Sanditon? How goes the rebuilding?"

Mary smiled, although Charlotte noticed some brittleness in her expression. Mary confirmed that things were indeed progressing well. Tom had appointed Mr Robertson as a temporary foreman, as Mr Stringer has left to take up his apprenticeship, and Tom himself was as involved as ever in the renovations. Charlotte couldn't help being concerned at Mary's dull tone. Something was troubling her, she was sure.

Sidney stayed close by but not improperly so. The conversation was lively and brimmed with good humour. Arthur declared he wished to dance and asked Georgiana if she would do him the honour. Cautioned by Diana in the perils of overexerting her delicate sibling, Georgiana accepted. Sidney took the opportunity to ask Charlotte if she would join him and smiled to himself when she blushed in response. Mary cast him a wary look, and he read her concern as clearly as if she had spoken.

As they joined the other on the dance floor, the musicians struck up the first chords of a waltz. A relatively new dance that was still regarded as a little too risqué for some ballrooms. However, here at Vauxhall, the dance was embraced. Sidney took Charlotte's hand and placed his other at her waist. She came willingly into his arms, and they began to move. The dance was intimate yet thrilling, and they lost themselves to the music oblivious to the fact that they were being observed from several quarters.

Diana looked at Mary, surprised to see the couple so intimately displayed upon the dance floor. Diana shocked, whispered, "Mary, what am I seeing here? What's he about?" Thoroughly confused, she regarded Sidney's open and loving expression, "My brother does not look like a man about to marry Mrs Campion."

From the opposite side of the floor, Esther Babington regarded the dancing couple. She turned to her husband and commented, "Mr Parker is rushing his fences. One would need to be blind not to see where his heart lies, and it is not with that Campion woman. He must remember that he is not yet disentangled from his betrothal."

Just arrived and accompanied by friends, Eliza Campion was stunned by the sight of her fiancé in the arms of another woman. His demeanour was of ease and happiness, holding the lady much closer than was deemed proper. The way he regarded his partner was nothing short of scandalous. He has never looked at me that way, she thought bitterly. As she moved closer to the edge of the dancing square, she recognised the interloper as Miss Charlotte Heywood. Again! She thought angrily. Would he flaunt his infatuation with the chit here in public? This would not do. He would make a laughingstock of her if something was not done and soon.

As the dance drew to a close, Sidney realised that they had not been as circumspect as perhaps they should. He grinned, nonetheless. Having Charlotte to himself was worth any scolding he received from Mary, he thought. He was done fighting this.

Charlotte's head was in the clouds. As they had moved in perfect unison around the floor, Charlotte had felt like she was floating on clouds. As they had swirled breathlessly to the music, their eyes had never once strayed. They had spoken without words, and she felt strengthened by the connection they had shared. Until her eye caught the penetrating gaze of Eliza Campion, at which point her euphoria was quickly replaced by concern.

Sidney felling her stiffen, followed her gaze and cursed. To Charlotte, he repeated urgently, "We will find a way. Say you believe me."

"I believe you will do all you can," She replied quietly. "I should like to return to Lady Susan now. Please let Georgiana and Mary know that I will call on them soon."

Sidney nodded, feeling suddenly deflated, "Charlotte, please do not lose hope," he pleaded. With that, they spoke no more, and he returned her directly to the supper box where Lady Worcester and her party were seated. He bid them good evening and politely retreated.