~ Twenty-One ~

Somerset House, Grosvenor Square

Charlotte was exhausted. Over the last couple of days, life had become a series of balls, soirées, and luncheons. They had attended a Venetian breakfast at Lady Carstairs Richmond home only that afternoon. They had begun their campaign to win over the matrons of the ton and their efforts were gaining momentum. Lady Susan was a force to be reckoned with and where she led a flock of sycophants followed.

The Prince Regent had been in attendance for a short while, as were Lord and Lady Babington. The Prince was obviously quite charmed by the new Viscountess and claimed to appreciate her cutting brand of humour.

That evening they had a box reserved at Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, and both Alison and Charlotte were excited to attend the spectacle. She had heard of jugglers and tightrope walkers and fireworks. It sounded thrilling.

As she was dressing for the evening, a knock sounded on her door. The lady's maid attending her broke off from her task of lacing up the back of Charlotte's gown to open the door. The maid returned swiftly with a note.

Curious, Charlotte opened the missive and grinned. It was from Georgiana, at last. It appeared that she was in town and had only arrived at the Parkers in Cheapside this afternoon. Charlotte quickly penned her a note to say that she would be at Vauxhall this evening and she would arrange a meeting as soon as she was able. Charlotte quickly sealed the reply and sent her maid off to find a footman to deliver it.

Parker Residence, Bedford Place, Cheapside

The house was full to bursting. Sidney couldn't remember the last time it had held so many people, and now Georgiana had arrived. He'd totally forgotten that he had agreed to her trip to town. Now, she and Arthur were thick as thieves in the drawing room laughing like a pair of naughty children. Diana was sat with them smiling indulgently. Mary was sat in the window seat with little Jenny, and they were making their way through a book of nursery tales. The other children sat on the floor, enjoying a game of spillikins. Thankfully, the gorgon, Mrs Griffiths had not accepted the offer to stay as she was visiting relatives in Bloomsbury.

A footman knocked and entered the room with a letter. Sidney expectantly awaited its delivery, wondering who would write him so late in the day when instead the letter was handed to Georgiana. Sidney sat up straight, alert. There were only a handful of people that knew of her connection to the Parkers, and specifically, he as her guardian.

Georgiana opened the missive and squealed in delight, "It's from Charlotte! She says that she is happy to hear of my arrival and looks forward to seeing me very soon."

Georgiana read on and then smiled mischievously at Arthur, "Charlotte and her party are to attend Vauxhall this evening. Lady Susan has secured a supper box. Would it not be thrilling if we too visited Vauxhall? We could surprise her. Oh, how much I have missed her!" She sighed dramatically, "But, of course, Sidney is not in favour of Vauxhall and will not allow us to have any fun."

"Georgiana, I am hardly the ogre you paint me to be; you know."

Indeed, thought Sidney, he was only too pleased to be made aware of Charlotte's plans to visit the pleasure gardens.

"I see no harm in you attending," he smiled at Georgiana and Arthur, "Provided we make a party of it, and you remain in our company at all times, Georgiana. Agreed?"

"What fun we shall have, Miss Lambe! They do the most remarkable suppers at Vauxhall, you know. They serve ham as thin as a whisper of silk. 'Course you need to eat three times as much, but still, delectable," Arthur enthused.

Georgiana, however, scrutinised Sidney for a moment. "What are you up to?" She asked suspiciously, "Why are you suddenly being agreeable?"

Rolling his eyes, Sidney replied, "Still, Georgiana? I have tried to be more accommodating, yet you continue to question my motives?"

Although, silently, he thought, his motives weren't altogether pure. He hoped he would at least be permitted to speak to Charlotte this evening. Dance with her too, god willing.

Georgiana considered him for a moment and then dropped the subject.