// CHAPTER ONE //

A rush of ice cold water cascaded onto my face, making me sit up in shock as I was rudely dragged from the safety of my slumber.

"Again, really?" I spluttered, shivering as pieces of wet hair clung to my face and I eyed the cause of it. Icy water trickled down my back making me gasp as my best friend stood in front of me with a smug look plastered over her face, clutching a now empty bucket.

"Well you'd of thought you'd of learnt by now," Emily giggled, before placing the bucket on my head as the cherry on top of the situation. "Your breakfast is going cold by the way." I lifted the bucket to reveal my best friend sauntering out the room in nothing but her boyfriend's baseball and white pants. I groaned as I slipped out of my wet sheets and made a b-line straight for the bathroom for a quick shower. When I finished, I changed into my black skinny jeans which I always rolled up at the bottom and a black acid wash top. The colour in my wardrobe was scarce, I liked wearing black because I could hide my figure underneath it better and blend into the background. I guess I'm not exactly a people person.

After attempting to fix my damp hair and failing, I stepped into the kitchen area to be greeted with my other two room mates grinning back at me.

"Emily use the bucket on you again?" Brad smirked, knowing full well of the answer. I nodded with a grimace, before turning to my plate of now cold bacon and scrambled eggs.

"Don't worry, I was victim too." Callum sighed, pointing to wet patches of hair that were sticking to his forehead. "Worst thing is I was sick in the exact same bucket last night after Will's party."

"Brilliant." I groaned, sarcasm oozing off my tongue as I joined them at the table before crossing my arms and laying my head on top.

"I don't understand how she's always so chirpy in the morning, it gives me a headache." Callum sighed, rubbing at his temples.

"Probably because she was fucking Noah all night, I hear the guy is hung like a horse." Brad wiggled his eyebrows, before being hit on the head with a rolled up newspaper as Emily walked into the kitchen and perched herself on the counter top, a big smirk plastered across her face.

"Avery come on, we're going to be late for Creative Writing and I'm not missing another class just because you're lazy as fuck and could sleep the entire day away." She scolded, before chucking my red Vans classics in front of me.

"That's very unhygienic you know, we eat on this." I knock on the table with a smirk as I'm greeted with Emily rolling her eyes, before putting my shoes on and grabbing my school bag from the corner of the room.

"And you guys, if you skip out on your geography class again I will literally beat you with a wooden stick." Emily glares at the guys as she shut the door to our university dorm behind us. We began to walk through the common room full of people in their pyjamas and cups of tea in their hands, sitting on bean bag chairs and playing pool.

"What would make you want to play pool at 10 in the morning?" I yawned, covering my mouth with my hand. I hated my teeth, any time my mouth opened wide enough to show them my hand was soon covering it, until it was firmly closed once again. I have this slight overlap in my bottom teeth and I swear they're a sort of yellowish colour, but Emily inisists I'm going mad.

"Because they probably went to their 9am classes unlike some people," she poked me in the side "and are back and don't feel like going to bed. Carpe diem, Avery, carpe diem."

"Seize the day." I repeated with a smile, I could recognise the famous line from poetry anywhere.

-------

"Are you fucking joking." I sighed, looking at the sheet pinned to the board. Our teacher, Mrs Rowbuck, had serious surgery over the weekend and wouldn't be back for the rest of semester. So the university, not wanting to splash money out on new teachers, decided our class should be split among the other two classes instead of hiring another teacher. Go figure.

"We're not in the same class anymore?" Emily groaned, looking at me with sadness in her eyes. "This is a joke."

"I hope so." I sighed, looking at my name on the piece of paper. I was now in Mr Herbert's class, on the other side of campus. "At least you're in the same building, I've got a 10 minute walk ahead of me."

"Well, have fun with that. You'll be fine!" Emily smiled sympathetically, before pointing to her new class and walking in, leaving me stranded in the hallway with nothing but my bag and a few other students who were reading the notice.

By the time I got to the other side of campus the lesson was already 15 minutes in, and I was debating with myself whether it was even worth turning up when the door was yanked open to reveal a smiling Mr Herbert.

"I'm guessing you're Avery Collins?" He smiled politely, but his eyes betrayed him as they nearly popped out of their sockets. It looked like the only thing holding them in place were his thick brown rimmed glasses that reminded me too much of Harry Potter.

"Yeah..." I said uneasily, as I walked past him and into the classroom. The class was only small, which was why they were based within a classroom around small tables rather than in a seminar room like I'm used too. I'd probably prefer it if I'd actually known anyone in here, instead I'm stood at the front of the room looking like a lost lamb with everybody's eyes on me, judging. I shifted awkwardly in my spot wanting to desperately play with my nose ring. I always fiddled with it, but it gave the impression I was picking my nose as I soon found out last week when my History teacher called me out on it in front of everybody. I guess I have a knack for embarrassing myself.

"Choose a seat miss rebel, your throne awaits you." Mr Herbert grinned. His big teeth were showing and overlapping his bottom lip, and it was actually quite scary being this close to him. I smiled awkwardly, raising an eyebrow before walking to the back of the room to a table where only a couple of mousey looking girls were sat, giggling over Mr Herbert's attempt at a joke. Great, this class is going to be brilliant.

"We were just talking about the use of metaphors and similies and their effectiveness in different sentences." Mr Herbert nodded to me, before pointing to the board and carrying on with what he was saying before I was pulled into this blackhole of boredom. This was my first year at university and I was doing studies intended for 13 year olds, it's ridiuclous. I really needed Emily, by now we'd be giggling at something stupid, or making weird noises under our breath just loud enough for a couple of people to turn around and give us a glare. She was the one that got me through this class, but now I'm by myself I'm going to fail for certain just from lack of concentration.

I took out my notebook from my bag and began doodling, just like I usually did. I carried on from yesterday's pattern, adding swirls and random lyrics over the page until just a corner remained when a blur of voices and a figure approaching me finally got my attention.