Chapter 20

Jade's POV
*************************

"Why did you take the bullet for me?" I asked Amanda who was now handcuffed to the hospital bed.

After the incident that happened I left Nick and Antonio in a heated argument and decided to get some answers.

She stared out of space for a minute before looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"I know what I did to you was horrible and I know that I hurt you badly. I was your best friend and I did the worse things best friends should ever have to so through."

I waited for her to continue, she took a deep breath before finally continuing.

"I took the bullet because I deserved it and not you. I put you through so much and I was the reason for your break up with Nick. It hurt even more when I found out about you and Antonio" she explained and I wondered if I should have sympathy towards her.

She started crying and the tears flowed. I felt very sorry for her so I went around the bed and hugged her.

"As much as I hoped I didn't but I love you dearly. We spent the last 7 years before the breakup together."

"It's okay," I told her although it really wasn't.

We sat silent for a few more minutes before I finally asked the question that had been bugging me.

"Why didn't you tell me about you having a child?"

Her silent sobs were what greeted me after I asked her that question.

"I tried telling you but things kept coming up for you. I finally decided to leave until the baby was born and then I can back,"

I nodded as I softly rubbed her hair. It's a motherly instinct that I had since I had the babies.

" I met Antonio when I was 18 and he was 20. We hit it off pretty well and that was when we started having casual sex. I didn't think anything of it until I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know what to tell Antonio because we both were immature. I hid the pregnancy until I gave birth to my daughter".

"What happened after that?" I asked although I know what happened.

"When she turned two months I could no longer do it. I left her at the house on the waited until they picked the car seat before I went away.  I did it for her because I knew I would be an unfit mother,"

"Shhhh it's okay," I rubbed circles in her back.

"I couldn't even tell my own parents because we both know how racist they can be. They wouldn't accept me showing up with a mixed baby and someone to ruin their reputation."

"Why did you help Sharon?"

"I was blinded by all the rage that I felt. You had everything I ever wanted and Sharon felt the same way too."

"So what about the time when you showed up looking like you had a rough time.

My parents had cut me off from my inheritance. I didn't have a college degree and the public can never see me working as a store clerk or any of that. My parents reputation would be on the line."

"Okay it will all be alright just get through today," I encouraged her moving away.

The sound of the door opening caused me too look up.

"Visiting hours are over ma'am," the nurse said and I gave a nod. I waved Amanda bye and went out the door and  towards my Lamborghini which I had checked out.

I took a quick glance at my surrounding before entering my car. I made sure that I check my windows before driving off".

When I go home I was surprised to see Nick and Antonio having a conversation.

"Hey," I greeted them and looked around skeptically. "Where are the girls"?

They shared a look at each other before they let out a sigh.

"My parents took them for the night," he responded with a slight attitude.

"What " I screamed. "With whose permission exactly because I don't remember agreeing to that. You haven't even been with the twins for that long but you sent my babies with your parents," I let out a groan before flopping down beside Antonio.

" I need a break from everything. It's too much and it's almost the twins first birthday". A memory popped up which brought tears to my eyes.

"Are you okay"? Nick and Antonio ask simultaneously.

I gave a quick nod before getting up and rushing towards my room.

I heard footsteps following me but all I wanted to do was be alone right now. I did not want to be in anyone's company except Lilly.

I had no idea where Lilly was but I could use her company right now.

She is the only one that actually knows how much April 20 means to me.

"I want to be alone," I said as I slammed the door.

I curled up in my bed and let the tears flow because it was long overdue.

It's just hard trying to be perfect and not to break down infront of your children. I put up this facade but my walls will fall whether I want it to or not.

"Do you need anything?" Antonio's voice ask from outside the door.

"My best friend," I shouted as my tears flowed.

I heard the footsteps leaving from the door but I made no effort to get up.

I finally decided to get up and I rush to my closet and rummage through my things.

I looked everywhere for it but it was no where it be seen. I slid down on tbe floor and started letting my tears out.

There was a knock on the door before I heard Lilly's voice. I went and opened the door for her before I walked back to the closest.

I noticed my pink suitcase and decided to look through it.

"What's wrong babe?"

I let out a silent sob and continue until I finally found the framed picture.

"It's almost been a year," I sobbed by now not caring about the tears that were falling.

"Aw baby come here," she took me into a hug and held me while I cried.

We both went and sat on the bed while I held the frame close to me.

"Don't worry he is in heaven," Lily said and slowly rubbed my scalp to calm me down.

I took one last look at my son before closing my eyes.