Chapter 18: Quinn

"So how does it feel to be the only female to have both Hargreave men chasing you?"

We were in the middle of dinner at Breadsticks when Chelsea had popped that question. She was perching with her chin on her fists as she innocently asked me before I could take a bite off my salad. 

"What?"

"Don't be shy, Quinn.  Who is the leading contender?" Chelsea did not feel the need to repeat herself and sat there enjoying everyone around her squirm.

I could swear I heard their grandmother, Constance Hargreave gasp. 

Neil turns his head and glares at his stepsister while Iain appears to be mildly intrigued. 

I'm so glad that my mother didn't decide to join us as she had a late prayer meeting with her friends at church because I just wanted to die right now.

Instead, I feign ignorance and pretend that I misunderstood what the irrepressible pre-teen just said. I blink and purse my lips as I say "I'm sorry?"

"Chelsea," Neil warns as he starts to intervene but changes his mind when Chelsea quickly adds. 

"Are you just playing hard to get? Stop looking at me like you're going to kill me, Iain because you're not going to and it's no secret that we're rich. The jig is up. Besides, Quinn's probably known that the minute she's met you."

Mortified, I look at Iain who turns to me expectantly. His facial reaction is contained, but I can tell from his body language that he wants to hear what I have to say, I swallow and lick my lips nervously.

"I know I've got this in the bag." Neil turns and winks conspiratorially at me and I can hear Iain harrumph surly in response.

The entire conversation was so outrageous that I end up doubling over in laughter.

 I never laugh when I'm nervous and this has got to be the first time I've done so. 

I cover my face with my hands and lean back and let the nervous giddiness take hold. I laugh so hard that everyone in the table also start to laugh along that when I do come out with my explanation, the expressions on their faces makes me want to laugh again.

"Seriously, Quinn. What would it take for a man to impress you?" Constance Hargreave prods, because she's fascinated by this debacle.  I initially was nervous at first when I met her.  I took Neil's advice and wore a simple lacy dress from Acne and my cowboy boots along with the gold pendant with a cross.  She didn't look unimpressed either, but it's hard to tell from these Park Avenue ladies anyway.

"I---I----I--- don't know." I breathed in the middle of the peals as I take a peek at both brothers' astonished looks as they turn to each other and exchange frowns. 

Seeing their reaction just makes me double more in the hilarity of this absurd situation and I continue to giggle. Neil starts grinning in amusement as if in truce and Iain's eyes crinkle in amusement.

"You can bring up the bling, child." Constance promptly advises.  I'm surprised by her use of common millenial linggo seeing how immaculate she's dressed.  It's obvious she's dressed down in low key Channel everything, but I'm more drawn towards that mischievous glint in her pale blue eyes.

  "A diamond-encrusted tennis bracelet is ok," she says, as if she's been there before.

I didn't even dare ask her if that happened to her as that incredible suggestion just pulled me over the edge that when I thought I'd stop laughing, I start bursting out another round. 

"I-i-is that what wealthy New York socialites do?" I manage to say between the fits. 

No longer did I feel self-conscious, I lift my gaze to Iain as he's been remarkably silent throughout this whole scene. "What would you do if I ....I asked you for a diamond bracelet?"