Chapter 17: Quinn

The next two days pass by with a blur. 

 I avoid Iain deliberately because I'm saddened as I knew the inevitable was coming to a close. 

In a week, he and Neil would leave for New York.

His time in Lima was done and over with.

 He was everything I wanted and I knew it was impossible to have him.

Plus he never said nor promised that he would be back.

Nor has he ever mentioned about coming back. 

Also, I knew I had a life ahead of me.  My Yale application had been sent weeks ago and I knew it was just a matter of time until my future would unfold.

Until then, also pursuing a relationship with someone who obviously couldn't commit either was fruitless. 

I didn't want to miss him either but that was going to be close to impossible to not do that.

My mother and Fran would be returning from their trip in less than three days so I busied myself doing more research about Yale, studying for my finals, devoting my time to God squad and Glee club. 

 I even tried convincing Sue Sylvester for another try at Cheerios which she relented saying that she would consider it. 

 I would only come down and eat breakfast, only to be driven by Anton, who would glance at me in silence with a questioning look on his face, which I ignored as well. 

 Then, at dinnertime, I carried a tray up to my bedroom and spent the rest of the evenings upstairs studying. 

 Iain was pretty much MIA as well, because he was busy arranging what I knew would be a reunion involving introducing Neil and the rest of his family.

A family of which I have no idea who they are.  Google definitely was not helping at all.

No search on an Iain Hargreave.  Like each time I do, I find random picture of men (mostly old, potbellied 40 year old guys from Europe) bearing the exact name.

Was his name really Iain Hargreave at all? 

Or was he lying about it?

I mean, Neil knew who he was.  He even calls him by that name so he can't simply create a name out of nothing, right?

I rubbed my temples in frustration and only then I realize dully that it was only a few more days and he would be gone.  

What would happen after him leaving Lima gave me an empty feeling I could not ignore.

Iain was leaving.

And I hardly knew anything about him.

Well, maybe except he had a half-brother and that was pretty much it.  As it was, as the days that had flown by had seemed also too intense for Neil.  

Since that fateful meeting of the two Hargreaves, I had barely seen him in school.  So deep I was in my thoughts, I barely noticed a tall, dark haired boy who leaned against my locker with a lopsided grin on his face.

"Neil!" I gave him a hug.  He returned the gesture with the same enthusiasm as he easily lifted me and spun me around.  

"We're creating a scene," I tap his shoulders firmly, of which he gives off a sheepish smile.

"Ah, who cares what they think?"

"I do," I slit my eyes dangerously.  "I still go to school here, hello?"

"What?" he asks as his eyes glint dangerous, the golden orange central hues glittering against the lights.  "Like I don't?"

"You know what I mean, Neil Hargreave."